New Wigan housing estate comprising 67 family homes is approved
A new housing development in Wigan featuring 67 family homes has been given the green light by councillors – and work could start on site next month.
Plans to build the 67 three and four-bed properties off Bryn Green Avenue have been approved.
The former farm in Bryn was cleared as part another residential development by Bellway to the south of this site and has been used for stockpiling topsoil.
Miller Homes, the developer behind the latest plans for the Landgate site, said the new homes would be ‘high quality’ and reflect the area’s ‘local character’.
Technical director David Brackley told the planning committee at a meeting on Tuesday (January 11) that the company is ‘excited’ about the new development.
He said: “Miller Homes see Wigan as a key location for investment and growth.
“This area of Wigan is well-served by an established network of infrastructure, local facilities and strategic links including the exit to a motorway.
“Various local services are also within walking distance including health and education facilities.”
Brackley told councillors that work could start on site as soon as February.
Once complete, seven homes will be available as part of a shared ownership scheme – but this falls short of Wigan council’s affordable housing policy.
Developments of this size would usually be required to make a quarter of the new housing affordable, but an independent assessment of the costs to build on this site concluded that only 15 pc affordable housing could be provided.
However, following negotiations with the local authority, the developer agreed to make seven of the new dwellings affordable – around 10 pc of the total.
There will be no financial contributions towards public open space or biodiversity to make up for the loss of the former agricultural land.
Permission to build a supermarket on the site, which was ‘safeguarded’ for development, had already been granted in principle back in November 2015.
Bellway’s plans to build 157 homes to the south of the site were approved in 2017.
Wigan council received three objections to the latest application by Miller Homes, raising concerns about a lack of consultation with the public.
The objectors also complained that the developer will not be making financial contributions through a Section 106 agreement or creating any public space.
But councillors on the planning committee said the seven affordable homes to be provided as part of the scheme are a ‘bonus’ given the costs associated with developing the site which affect the financial viability of the project.
Labour councillor Gena Merrett said the proposal seems ‘fairly uncontentious’.
The application was approved unanimously by the planning committee.
Thanks for reading. If you value what we do and are able to support us, a digital subscription is just £1 for your first month. Try us today by clicking here and viewing our offers.