Residents rescued from blaze at Wigan flats

Firefighters were called to the scene
Firefighters were called to the scene

Three men have been rescued from the top floor of an arson-hit block of flats in Wigan.

The victims were given oxygen masks and led to safety by firefighters wearing breathing gear after becoming trapped by the blaze which started in the communal area of the building of Morris House on Butler Street, Scholes.

Police have since launched an investigation after crews said that they believed the fire - which broke out at around 8.30pm on Thursday - was started deliberately.

Occupants rang 999 after seeing plumes of smoke belching from part of the building.

Firefighters arrived at the scene to find three residents trapped on the top floor of the flats as the blaze raged below.

Four crew members entered the three-storey building and first dowsed the flames and ventillated the place as best they could before rescuing the three men, who were hanging out of a window to avoid breathing in the fumes.

The fire appeared to have originated in an area on the bottom floor of the flats which was being used to store unused furniture.

One man was taken to hospital suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation while two others were treated at the scene by paramedics.

Two other occupants had managed to get out of the building without assistance.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to ring police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.