Wigan's food hygiene ratings: High marks dished out in recent inspections
and live on Freeview channel 276
In the latest round of food hygiene inspections, Wigan’s eateries have done themselves proud, with none being told they require improvement.
Inspectors from the Food Standards Agency dropped in unannounced on 36 food-serving businesses across Wigan borough in October, 20 of which were awarded a rating of Five, which is the highest possible score and indicates a “Very Good” standard of cleanliness.
Nine venues were deemed to have “Good” hygiene and received a score of Four, while seven businesses earned “Satisfactory” scores of Three.
Businesses that serve food are rated on how hygienically it is handled; how it is prepared, cooked, reheated, cooled and stored; the condition of the structure of the buildings; the cleanliness, lay-out, lighting, ventilation and other facilities, as well as how the business manages and records what it does to make sure food is safe.
All ratings were correct on the Food Standards Agency website as of December 2020:
- Box Fresh Kitchen, Private address.
- Chateau Gateaux, Private address.
- Cakes by Alexandra, Private address.
- Customer Cafe Asda Store, Soho Street, Newtown.
- Domino's Pizza, Heritage Way, Wigan.
- Galloways, 757 Ormskirk Road, Wigan.
- Hamraz, 93 Holmes House Avenue, Wigan.
- Henrietta Street Chippy, 39 Henrietta Street, Leigh.
- Kentucky Fried Chicken 39-41 Gerard Street, Ashton.
- Little Foxes Wigan, Billinge Road, Highfield.
- Mr English 286-288 Wigan Road, Ashton.
- Mrs Jenkins Travelling Tearoom Private address.
- Sainsburys, Worthington Way, Wigan.
- Salvation Army Cafe, Chapel Street, Ashton.
- Sir Thomas Gerard, 2 Gerard Street, Ashton;
- Subway Ashton, Gerard Street, Ashton.
- The Brunch Box, 2 Conway Road, Ashton.
- The Cafe, Bradley Lane, Standish.
- Treasure City, 233 Church Road, Tyldesley.
- Workin Lunch, 258 Wigan Road, Ashton.
- Asda, Worthington Way, Wigan.
- Astley Labour Club, Manchester Road, Astley.
- Bamboo House, 6 Bag Lane Atherton.
- Chungs Fish And Chips, 87 Westleigh Lane, Leigh.
- Galloways, 447 Gidlow Lane, Wigan.
- Hindley Fish & Chips, 65 Atherton Road, Hindley.
- Poacher's Arms, Holmes House Avenue, Wigan.
- Robinsons Late Spot, 156 Preston Road, Standish.
- Tasty Hub, 69 Warwick Road, Atherton.
- Chinese Gardens, 47 Gerard Street, Ashton.
- Deb's Fish & Chips, 138 Gidlow Lane, Wigan.
- Ethans Takeaway, 146 Leigh Road, Leigh.
- Masala Tandoori, 95 Market Street, Hindley.
- Mr Fish & Chips, 9 Union Street, Leigh.
- Sue's Tasties, 52 Woodhouse Lane, Wigan.
- The Spice Lounge, Bretherton Row, Wigan.
Thanks for reading. If you value what we do and are able to support us, a digital subscription is just £1 for your first month. Try us today by clicking here and viewing our offers.