Pie sparks blaze

Share this article

A MEAT pie sparked a small kitchen fire at sheltered accommodation in Wigan.

A 75-year-old woman had left a pie burning in the oven at her home in St Clement’s Court, Worsley Mesnes Drive, Wigan, at around 8.15pm on Monday.

Smoke was seeping from the oven and the fire services were called.

The woman was led to safety by firefighters, as the flat was heavily smoke-logged.

The incident caused a lot of smoke damage in the kitchen and hallway. No-one was injured.

A spokesman for Hindley Fire Station said: “It is important to keep a watchful eye on food which is cooking, either in the oven or on the hob or stove, as this could soon turn into a fire.”