Pregnant mum tackles fire

editorial image
Share this article

A PREGNANT woman was taken to hospital after tackling a chip pan fire in Wigan.

The 27-year-old, who was seven months into her pregnancy, had left a chip pan unattended at her home in Alder Avenue, Worsley Hall, at 4.10pm on Wednesday and extinguished the flames herself, before calling the emergency services.

She was taken to Wigan Infirmary as a precaution for smoke inhalation.

The flames had not caused much damage to the kitchen but the fire service warned people against tackling fires.

Pete Johnson, watch manager at Hindley Fire Service, said: “The woman did really well in putting out the fire, but we advise people not to do so as it could have devastating consequences, especially with her being pregnant. She also had a young boy in the house.

“People should turn the heat off and leave and call the fire service.

“We also warn against open chip pans, This was a pan full of oil, which caught fire.”