Probe goes on into how dad died on Thai holiday

Peter Nicholson
Peter Nicholson

AN inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the death of a Wigan man on holiday in Thailand is still ongoing - four months after he died.

The inquest into the death of Peter Nicholson, who died in Bangkok on June 1, was briefly mentioned at Bolton Coroners Court on Monday.

But a date for the full inquest could not be set as the coroner’s office is still waiting for evidence from the Thai authorities.

Mr Nicholson collapsed in his hotel room in the Thai city shortly after arriving and was discovered by hotel staff when his friends raised the alarm

Medics were unable to reviveMr Nicholson, from Beech Hill, who was 29 when he died.

It is thought there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death but the inquest cannot proceed until all the evidence has been received by the coroner.

The inquest has been adjourned until November 2 for mention.

Shortly after Mr Nicholson’s death, tributes were paid the popular dad-of-one.

A friend of Mr Nicholson’s mother Irene said: “She is absolutely distraught. This has come as a complete shock.”

One neighbour, who did not wish to be identified, said: “This is a terrible shock to us.

“Peter was a lovely guy who had everything to live for.”

Those who knew Mr Nicholson, who had latterly been living in Whelley, also paid tribute on Facebook.

Gemma Speakman wrote: “Gone but never forgotten R.I.P Pey always in our hearts.”

Melissa Marie Atherton said: “So so so sad still cant get me head round why.”

And Elaine Cross added: “RIP, you were a lovely lad.”

Debbie King wrote: “Sad news, such a thoughts are with his family and friends.”

Samantha Cook said: “Rip. God bless taken far too young.”

And Michelle Sherburn added: “So sad. Thoughts are with his family.”

It is believed that the friends raised the alarm with staff at the hotel at which they were staying when they failed to get a response to knocks on his room door.

Using a master key to get in, the employees found the Beech Hill 29-year-old collapsed and medics were unable to revive him.

Although details from the authorities are very sketchy at this stage it is not thought that there are any suspicious circumstances surrounding Mr Nicholson’s death.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: “We were informed of the death of a British national in Thailand.”