Pupils stranded on school trip

A roller coaster at Alton Towers
A roller coaster at Alton Towers

A SCHOOL has launched a probe after apparently abandoning a Wigan pupil on a school trip 70 miles from home.

Sixteen-year-old Shannon Deakin from Wigan was one of four girls left behind during the excursion to Alton Towers theme park in Staffordshire after apparently failing to meet a rendezvous time.

We were all crying and in shock because we didn’t know if we were going to get home or not

Shannon Deakin

Staff at Salford City College said that it had opened an investigation into the matter highlighted in a national newspaper.

A spokesman said: “A full investigation is currently being undertaken into this matter. The safeguarding of our students is a priority, and therefore this issue will be formally investigated as a matter of urgency.”

The girls were part of a 63 strong party of pupils in three coaches.

Some now suggest that other youngsters shouted when the girls’ names were read out before the coaches set off back home.

Shannon was “left stranded and shivering” for more than four hours.

They attempted to call their parents to ask for a lift home only to find three of the four mobile phone batteries had flattened because of all the photos the excited youngsters had taken.

And the fourth had almost gone flat when one managed to get through to successfully arrange the 140 mile round journey rescue trip.

The 16-year-olds - soaking wet after taking a last ride on the log flume at Alton Towers - spent four hours in tears desperately trying to ring their parents to tell them what happened.

Shannon said: “We were all crying and in shock because we didn’t know if we were going to get home or not.

“We had just been on the log flume so we were drenched and freezing. We were petrified and spent the time just wandering round. “

The girls had been meant to assemble at 4pm, but acknowledge that they had lost track of time and arrived at the coach park 20 minutes late because one of them had lost her mobile while riding the Log Flume. By the time they got back the bus had gone.

Shannon’s mum Michelle said: “I was frantic ... I couldn’t get through to the school and Shannon’s phone wasn’t working. When she walked in at 9.30pm with her friend, they were crying and in shock.”