Recently installed smoke alarm is saviour

editorial image
Share this article

A WOMAN had a lucky escape after she left her chip pan on in Orrell.

She had moved into the living room and then fallen asleep, leaving the pan to start smoking.

This resulted in her alarm going off and alerting her to the danger.

The woman then dialled 999 before moving outside and waiting for them to attend to the pan.

The smoke alarm which had woken her up had only been fitted by fire crews a matter of weeks earlier and Wigan fire station White Watch manager Craig Gibbins reckons the woman had a lucky escape.

He said: “If she hadn’t woken up because of that smoke alarm, the incident could have escalated and she could have been in real danger.”

To book a free home check call 0900 555 815.