Robber gets sentence extended after swearing at judge

Stephen Mann
Stephen Mann

A ROBBER who targeted a Wigan pensioner and raided a local shop had his prison sentence extended after swearing at the judge as he was delivering his verdict.

Stephen Antony Mann, of no fixed address, was found guilty of robbery following a trial at Liverpool Crown Court having earlier admitted to committing a business robbery and burglary.

The 21-year-old was given two concurrent sentences of seven years for two counts of robbery and a further 12 months to run consecutively for burglary.

Due to his reaction in the dock while being sentenced he was handed a further six month sentence to run consecutively for contempt of court, giving him a total sentence of eight and a half years.

On October 4 2013, he approached a 72-year-old woman as she walked along Poolstock Lane with her husband and stooped low to grab her handbag as she passed.

As he snatched it from her he dragged her to the ground. He then grabbed it from her grasp as she lay injured and ran off.

She suffered injuries to her arm, shoulder and chest.

At about 2.45pm on Wednesday 15 October 2013, he entered R and W Gore Newsagants on Atherton Road, Hindley and threatened the owner at knifepoint and demanded cash.

The shopkeeper refused to hand over any money and told Mann to leave. He then threw a wooden bat at him, hitting him in the back as he fled.

At 4pm that day he was seen riding a bike dangerously. He failed to stop for police and following a pursuit and assistance from the force helicopter he was located in Leyland Park.

Following his arrest he was seen rubbing his back and on examination was found to have an injury consistent with what had occurred at the shop.

Detective Sergeant Nigel Rigby, said: “Mann plagued the area, committing robberies and a burglary and would undoubtedly have continued had he not been caught.

“He is a prolific offender and his reaction in the dock reflects the kind of person he is and his contempt for the law.

“He has been handed a significant prison sentence and I am pleased he will not pose a threat to our community for the foreseeable future.”