RESIDENTS are being urged to take care in the kitchen after three serious incidents in the space of a few days.
Fire chiefs issued advice on safe cooking after two people cheated death in blazes involving food left unattended on cookers which crews warned could have been much more serious incidents.
A 27-year-old man was dragged from a maisonette property in Atherton after fire crews were called by neighbours alerted to the fire by the smoke alarm just after 3.30pm yesterday.
Crews wearing breathing apparatus found the man had fallen asleep and left a pan of food on an electric hob, which caused the house on James Street to become smoke-logged.
He was given oxygen therapy at the scene but declined hospital treatment, while the flat suffered only minor smoke damage.
The Atherton incident came less than 24 hours after a man cheated death following a similar fire involving food on a cooker at an address in Higher Fold.
Crews dragged the 33-year-old man from the burning house on Hampton Grove on Sunday, with firefighters saying he would not have survived much longer in the property.
He was given oxygen therapy by paramedics at the scene and taken to hospital in a serious condition, but improved overnight.
Firefighters were also called to a flat at Avril Court, in Spring View, after an elderly lady suffered a fall while cooking and was unable to attend to the food or leave the smoke-filled property.
Fire chiefs are now reminding residents to take care when cooking and not to attempt making hot food while under the influence of alcohol.
Borough fire commander Steve Sheridan said: “We are encouraging people to throw chip pans out. If they can’t afford a fryer they should visit the supermarket and buy oven chips or go to the chippy and support local businesses.
“Cooking while under the influence of alcohol is not a good idea, so people who’ve been drinking should make a sandwich or get a takeaway.”