Savage attack was filmed on mobile

Martin Murrell
Martin Murrell

TWO Wigan brothers who savagely tortured a man and filmed it on a mobile phone have been jailed.

During a prolonged attack, victim Paul Styan was repeatedly punched in the face, spat on, and had shaving foam poured on him, until he appeared to fall unconscious.

Jamie Naylor and (below) Martin Murrell

Jamie Naylor and (below) Martin Murrell

Three attackers were sentenced yesterday at Preston Crown Court for the assault which the judge Recorder Paul Reid, described as “near torture”.

The court heard Martin Murrell, 25, of Westcott Drive, Highfield, his brother Jamie Naylor, 21, of Lamberhead Road, Pemberton, plus 17-year-old Ryan Parkinson, of Cowling Lane, Leyland, were visiting a house in Leyland on the night of January 1, 2010, when an argument broke out.

Mobile phone footage which was shown to the court, started with the 32-year-old victim cowering on a chair in the lounge with an injury to his eye, before Murrell, began to repeatedly punch, kick and jump on him.

The harrowing footage which lasted 39 minutes, showed Murrell threaten to pour paint stripper and vinegar on him and “torture him all night”.

It also showed his brother laughing and pouring shaving foam on the victim.

Parkinson, 17, of Cowling Lane, Leyland, joined the attack at the end, delivering several punches and kicks, after being encouraged by the other attackers.

Murrell, pleaded guilty to causing actual bodily harm and was sentenced to 20 months in jail. Naylor was convicted of the assault and a separate offence of burglary after denying the offences and was sentenced to a total of 18 months in jail.

Parkinson was given a nine-month youth rehabilitation order, as well as an additional three months’ supervision order and 60 hours’ unpaid work.

Sentencing Recorder Paul Reid, said: “It might have been something as trivial as the choice of music that started it but what followed over three-quarters of an hour to an hour was a sustained, unpleasant, horrific assault boardering on torture which was carried out in the main by you Murrell.”

The judge accepted Naylor’s involvement in the assault was significantly less than Murrell’s and added that Parkinson’s involvement had “not been that serious” and decided a custodial sentence was not necessary.

Today bricklayer Mr Styan told the Wigan Evening Post he thought he would be killed.

He said: “I went into the kitchen to get another drink and he (Murrell) cracked me on the head.

“Jamie was stood behind him and I thought ‘they are two brothers and if I start fighting back I am on a hiding to nothing’. I thought I would have to take a few digs but it went on for about 20 minutes to half an hour and after that I cannot remember anything.

“When I woke up my head was like a rugby ball, I phoned my parents to come and pick me up.”

My Styan said the attack has caused his life to fall apart.

He said: “Afterwards I lost my job and I lost my home. I had to move back in with my parents which had a knock-on effect and knocked them out of kilter because it was only a year before we lost my younger brother Richard.

“I was in a job at the time but the doctor thought I may have a fractured cheek bone but said I would have to wait for the swelling to go down, so I could not go to work.

“They (employers) got somebody else in and that was it. Now I am really struggling to find work, doing any jobs I can.”