Second child burned

editorial image
Share this article

A SECOND Wigan child in 10 days has had to be rushed to hospital with serious burns after playing with a cigarette lighter.

Now the fire service is warning parents of the danger of leaving items like matches and lighters in children’s reach.

On April 5 fire crews attended the home of a four-year-old boy on Hartley Avenue, Ince after he accidentally set himself alight playing with a lighter.

And on Sunday April 15 the same happened to another boy of the same age at his home on Anson Place, Kitt Green.

Neither of the children have been named by the authorities and both are still thought to be receiving treatment for their injuries at specialist hospitals.

Area manager Dave Keelan, head of prevention services, said: “A large part of our work as a fire service is to deter youngsters from playing with matches and lighters to try and prevent nuisance fires and injuries that can result from them.

“Playing with matches and lighters can cause serious burns and the scarring can last a lifetime, so while we would love it if our prevention work alone could stop these types of incidents, we really need the support of parents – knowing where your children are and what they are doing, and making sure they are aware of the consequences and dangers.”

In the most recent incident the fire brigade was called at about 10am to the family home, but when they arrived the flames had been put out.

The youngster was rushed to a specialist children’s hospital after suffering 20 per cent burns to the front of his body and was later transferred to Alder Hey hospital, where he is still thought to be. Just 10 days earlier the Ince boy suffered 40 per cent burns and was taken to Manchester Children’s Hospital where he underwent an operation and is thought to be making a recovery.