Sexual predator should not have been in the UK

Jailed: Ismail Dehdouh
Jailed: Ismail Dehdouh

THREE young women were subjected to sexual assaults in Wigan by a man who should already have been deported, a court heard.

Ismail Dehdouh had been jailed for 12 months in 2012 for using false identity documents and after his release was due to be thrown out of the country.

But this never happened leaving the Algerian national to commit the sex offences as well as handling stolen mobile phones.

Jailing him for two and a half years today Judge Andrew Hatton said that he wanted women to be able to walk the streets safely and said Dehdouh must be deported after he finishes his sentence.

“You targeted young women you considered to be vulnerable,” he told him.

One of Dehdouh’s victims was walking with her four-year-old brother when she was attacked.

And both the 16-year-old and the youngster have been left “psychologically scarred” by the vile assault, Liverpool Crown Court was told.

Henry Riding, prosecuting, said that 35-year-old Dehdouh was wanted on a bench warrant when he molested all three of his young victims in the Swinley area after failing to attend Chester Crown Court for handling three stolen mobile phones.

The stolen phones were found at his then home in Regent Street, Runcorn over a pizza shop when police raided it on October 21, 2013. One had been stolen in a burglary at a house in Runcorn and another from a handbag in a Cardiff nightclub.

He later failed to attend court for sentence and on September 21 last year he approached a 22-year-old woman as she was walking along Earl Street, Swinley.

After asking her if she was Spanish and single she tried to walk away from him but he followed her and asked for a kiss.

She rejected his advances and continued walking away but he still followed and grabbed her left arm and pulled her towards him.

She pulled away and told him, “be told” but he still followed her and it was only after about quarter of a mile when she went into a nursery that she was able to get away from him.

Mr Riding said that three days later a 16-year-old girl was walking her four-year-old brother home from school along Wigan Lane and Scarisbrick Street when Dedhouh began chatting to her. He began following her and she became scared and took a different route than planned to get to a main road until he suddenly stood in front of her blocking her way.

He asked if he could have a hug and after she refused “he put one arm around her shoulder and the other around her back near her bottom while her brother was cowering behind her.

“She grabbed her brother and pushed him (Dehdouh) away out of her way as she walked off. He asked why she was not hugging him back and tried to hug her again. He placed his head on her right shoulder and began to kiss the side of her neck and cheek. She took hold of her brother again and tried to push away but he took hold of her shoulder and began to run his fingers through her hair,” said Mr Riding.

“He asked ‘can I have a kiss?’ and pulled her towards him. She pushed him away telling him ‘no’ and walked away again. He still followed and when he caught up with her again he used both hands to separate her from her brother.”

The girl pulled her hand away and shouted that she was going home to her father and he stayed where he was. The incident lasted about 10 minutes and she was left feeling scared.

Her father read an impact statement from her talking of the effect on her and also told the judge how badly his little son had been affected.

“He has gone from being a confident and fun-loving boy to being withdrawn, shy and nervous. He used to love going to school and would not look back. He now screams the school down when his mother or sister leave him there.”

Her dad said Dehdouh should be deported and not be allowed to walk the streets.

Mr Riding said that Dehdouh picked on his third victim two hours later as the 18-year-old was walking along Duke Street. He began chatting to her and then grabbed at her but she was able to pull away. He asked if she had a boyfriend and when she said she did he ran off. The victim is now scared of walking alone in case she is followed, said Mr Riding.

He was identified from CCTV footage and arrested at a kebab shop in Wigan Lane. He accepted the encounters had occurred but denied any sexual element.

Dehdouh, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to three offences of sexual assault and three of handling. He was ordered to sign on the Sex Offender Register for 10 years.

Amos Waldman, defending, said that the defendant has consented to a deportation order and wants to return to Algeria as soon as possible. He said they were opportunistic offences and Dehdouh is remorseful.