Son calls for dad’s attackers to be deported

Arnold Hilton after the attack
Arnold Hilton after the attack

THE son of a pensioner who was attacked in a sickening raid by a Wigan couple has spoken of his heartache after his father’s death.

Arnold Hilton, of Up Holland, suffered horrendous injuries last year when Laurynas Dauksas and Aurelisa Galdikaite broke into his house and subjected him to a vicious attack.

The 89-year-old died peacefully last week but son Mark told the Evening Post of the “massive” effect the incident had on his much loved father.

He said: “Before the attack he was living independently but all that changed. He was an extremely outgoing person, and he would travel from his home to Pemberton regularly and visit the pub with his friends.

“His injuries were so serious that he lost the use of his legs which had a massive effect on his life.

“He was already starting to show signs of dementia and was forgetful sometimes but he then had to move into a home once he got out of hospital.”

Mr Hilton’s attackers are now behind bars and Mark hopes they will be deported once their sentences are served.

He said: “I would have put them away for longer but that goes without saying because I’m personally involved.

“From what we’ve been told, because of the length of the sentence they will get deported.

“So on reflection perhaps the sentence was fair enough.

“It is just shocking when old people or children are the victims of attacks like this. They are the ones that can’t defend themselves.”

Mr Hilton became an engineer after studying at Wigan and Leigh Mining College. He had started working on pits around Wigan when he was a teenager, his father had been a shot firer.

The father-of-five, grandfather of 11 and great-grandfather to one was a keen sportsman, a member of Dean Wood Golf Club and a regular supporter of his home town club at Central Park.

Son Mark said: “He worked all of his life, starting at the local collieries and he made his way up to company director at a tyre supplies company based on Frog Lane.

“He was a good golfer and won a few tournaments at Dean Wood.”

Mark’s brother Stuart found their father after the attack having called in on the way to work.

He had suffered injuries that indicated he had been repeatedly punched and kicked in the head, chest and shoulders.

Mark added: “When I heard what had happened it was just devastating.

“He had always been so security conscious so there was an element of shock there as well. We were told by the police afterwards that the pair had gone along the street checking door handles to see which would open.

“He must have just forgotten to lock his and was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

A memorial service for Arnold, who his family said would be fondly remembered and sadly missed by all his relatives and friends, will be held at Wigan Crematorium Chapel tomorrow at 11.30am.