Sparks fly when child puts keys in microwave

A family had a lucky escape after a child placed keys inside a microwave and turned it on.

Monday, 31st July 2017, 5:59 pm
Updated Monday, 11th September 2017, 12:39 pm
Firefighters from Leigh attended

Sparks started flying once the microwave was switched on by the five-year-old boy at the house on Thames Avenue in Pennington.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Luckily a smoke alarm alerted the family and they were able to get outside to safety.

The microwave was damaged, but a fire did not develop from the sparks.

Firefighters from Leigh were called at around 2pm today and carried out a safety check at the house.