Stab chef jailed

Jailed: Wigan chef Giuseppe Maragioglio
Jailed: Wigan chef Giuseppe Maragioglio

A CHEF who stabbed a colleague after simmering tensions came to the boil in a Wigan restaurant kitchen has been jailed for 19 months.

Giuseppe Maragioglio had been paring vegetables in the Wigan restaurant when he “lost it” after the head chef asked him to do something else and he stabbed him three times causing a punctured lung.

It was a perfect storm of circumstances and he behaved in the way he did

Tim Brennand

A judge heard that the 53-year-old Italian is a mild-mannered family man who had never been in any trouble before but that day something had been “festering” in his mind and he struck out with the knife.

“It was a perfect storm of circumstances and he behaved in the way he did,” said his barrister Tim Brennand.

“It was a response to a perceived threat and was a spontaneous reaction,” he added.

Mr Brennand told Liverpool Crown Court of the tensions that can arise in restaurant kitchens and compared the incident to TV star Amanda Barrie “simply exploding” at chef Gordon Ramsay in the Hell’s Kitchen programme.

Jailing white haired Maragioglio, of Douglas Road, Leigh, Judge David Aubrey, QC, said: “You told a probation officer, ‘I just lost it’ and that is precisely what happened.

“The red mist descended. I accept at the time you had the knife in your hand for lawful purposes, but you stabbed your victim in the chest causing a considerable wound and it could have had fatal consequences.”

He told him: “There may have been some tension between you and he but whatever the background, whatever the tension it does not excuse or explain what you did.”

Maragioglio had pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm to Carlos Neto in the kitchen of Franco’s Italian Restaurant, Rodney Street, Wigan on the afternoon of September 27 last year.

Mr Neto, 47, was rushed to North Manchester General Hospital suffering from three stab wounds to the left side of his stomach, left arm and to his head.

The chest injury caused a collapsed lung and he underwent surgery to have a chest drain inserted, said Graham Pickavance, prosecuting.

The court heard that the defendant had failed to attend court recently as he had returned to Italy to see his 85-year-old sick mum before returning to be sentenced.