Teen lucky to be alive

Patrick Horrocks, 15, had his life saved by quick thinking members of staff when he collapsed at Hindley Lesiure Centre.
Patrick Horrocks, 15, had his life saved by quick thinking members of staff when he collapsed at Hindley Lesiure Centre.
Share this article

A WIGAN teenager had his life saved by quick-thinking staff at a leisure centre.

Patrick Horrocks, 15, left, was working out in the gym at Hindley Leisure Centre when he suffered a heart attack.

Thanks to the actions of fitness instructor Nick Hill and duty supervisor Dave Collins, he was revived using a defibrillator provided by the North West Ambulance Service (NWAS).

The incident happened when Patrick collapsed on the cross trainer in the leisure centre gym.

Nick rushed to help and found that he had stopped breathing, so started administering CPR.

As they were waiting for paramedics, Dave used the defibrillator and Patrick started to breathe and regain consciousness.

By the time the paramedics arrived, Patrick was sitting up fully conscious, breathing but very confused.

The Hindley Community High School pupil was later diagnosed with a genetic heart condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which he and his parents were unaware he had.

Patrick’s father Damian said: “If it wasn’t for the two lads at the leisure centre, I doubt Patrick would be with us today.

“He was fortunate Nick and Dave were there, and that the ambulance service had installed the defibrillator.

“We had no idea he suffered from this condition.

“He’s always been a fit lad, always played sports.

“If he was anywhere else, playing football or walking home from school, he would not be here today.”

Patrick was taken to Wigan Infirmary, and later transferred to Alder Hey Hospital where he underwent surgery to be fitted with an internal heart monitor that tracks his heartbeat, and can deliver energy to return a normal heart beat should it happen again.

However, his father has said Patrick will not be able to play any high-energy sports again.

Damian added: “It has been a life-changing moment for him. He will never be able to play competitive, high-energy sport again, which is a real shame as he loves it, and he will not be able to undertake a manual job in the future.”

David McNally, NWAS community resuscitation manager, said: “This incident highlights the importance of quick intervention when an individual goes into cardiac arrest, and supports NWAS’s aim to have defibrillators placed in all public areas where there is an increased risk of cardiac arrest. ”