Man taken to hospital after unattended pan sparks fire

A man had to be rescued from sheltered accommodation following a fire which started when a pan of food was left on a cooker.

Thursday, 12th July 2018, 10:22 am
Updated Monday, 16th July 2018, 5:09 pm
Fire service

Firefighters discovered him unresponsive on the sofa of his flat at Rose Court in Ince and got him out of the property to the ambulance service.

Other news: Roof fire as man tries to smoke out wasps' nestHe was suffering the effects of smoke inhalation and was taken to Wigan Infirmary.

The emergency services were called to the facility at around midnight on Thursday.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

They found a pan unattended in the kitchen was the source of the blaze, which left the entire flat badly smoke-logged.

Thankfully the flames and smoke got no further than the initial property.

A woman living in the sheltered accommodation smelled smoke and called the fire service.

No other properties had to be evacuated as residents followed a stay safe procedure.

The firefighters also checked the smoke alarms at Rose Court and gave some safety tips to reassure residents.

Three fire engines attended along with the North West Ambulance Service and Greater Manchester Police.

Watch manager Carl Gleaves from Wigan fire station said: "The obvious message from this incident is to be vigilant at all times when there is food cooking."