Easter travel chaos as M6 closed near Wigan after lorry veers off carriageway
The M6 southbound is closed near Wigan after a lorry veered off the carriageway and overturned in a verge beside the motorway.
The crash in the early hours of the morning between J24 (St Helens) and J23 (Haydock Island) and the M6 southbound remains fully closed whilst the lorry is recovered.
All emergency services have been in attendance and the driver was taken to hospital with minor injuries.
National Highways say it is likely to take some time before the southbound carriageway reopens due to the difficulty of recovering the overturned lorry on the embankment.
There are currently delays of around an 1 hour on the M6 southbound, with slow moving traffic back to Standish (J27).
The motorway was initially closed between J24 and J23 but significant delays were caused by the closure, with local roads struggling with congestion.
As a result the closure has been extended back to J26 at Orrell to prevent delays increasing further.
The southbound entry slip road to the M6 at J25 in Bryn has also been closed to prevent drivers from joining the motorway.
Updated diversion route
Diverted traffic is advised to follow the solid circle symbol
- Exit the M6 southbound at J26
- At the roundabout take the first exit and cross over the M6
- At the next roundabout take the second exit on to the M58 westbound
- Exit at J3
- At the roundabout take the first exit on to the A570 southbound
- Remain on the A570 southbound to the junction with the A580 East Lancs Road
- Turn left on the A580 eastbound
- Exit at the Haydock Interchange with the M6 (J23)
- Take the 4th exit to re-join the M6 southbound to continue onward journey