Roadworks causing traffic chaos on major Wigan route
Motorists have hit out at a batch of roadworks on a major Wigan route, claiming they are causing traffic chaos.
Scores of angry drivers have contacted Standish councillor Ray Whittingham to complain about the works being carried out by Aptus Utilities on Preston Road.
Coun Whittingham said the work has caused queuing traffic on the stretch of the road between James Square and Moores Lane.
He said: “I’ve received a number of complaints from residents regarding the current roadworks on Preston Road.
“There can be traffic and congestion normally as it’s a busy road but the traffic signals from the roadworks are causing a lot more congestion than it does usually.
“The three-way traffic signals actually broke on Friday which caused a long queue of traffic and there was also an accident on the M6 last week which caused congestion.
“The traffic has been bad on the A49 between James Square and Moores Lane.
He added: “I do have to question why these works weren’t done during lockdown and in the summer holidays.”
Wigan Council said the works are scheduled to be completed on September 11 but they hope it will be sooner.
The council said it is not aware of any congestion problems due to the works apart from an accident last week on the M6 which had a “knock on effect in the Standish area.”
They said works are co-ordinated in the school holidays where possible but that “certain factors” do not always make this achievable.
The council said it has also brought forward a number of utility works and resurfacing works to make use of the quieter road network during the lockdown.
They said the work is being closely monitored and inspected regularly to ensure works are completed efficiently and ahead of schedule.