Number of confirmed coronavirus cases rises to 156 in Wigan

The number of people diagnosed with Covid-19 in Wigan has risen to 156, official figures show.

Monday, 6th April 2020, 10:01 am
Updated Monday, 6th April 2020, 10:02 am

Public Health England releases new figures on the number of confirmed cases across the UK each morning. As of Monday April 6, the total for the borough currently stands at 156, up from 110 on the previous day.

The NHS also releases a separate list of the number of people who have died with coronavirus, which currently stands at 11 confirmed fatalities recorded by the Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust.

Public Health England confirmed that, so far, 47,806 people across the country have tested positive for Covid-19, of which 4,934 have tragically been fatal.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Covid-19 cases rise in Wigan

The full statistics can be found at the Public Health England website.

A former Government adviser has said the Covid-19 outbreak should be a wake-up call to the UK, claiming previous tests proved it was "poorly prepared" for a pandemic.

Professor Sir Ian Boyd, the former chief scientific adviser at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs from 2012 to 2019, said resilience should be built into the UK on a wide scale to cope with an outbreak of this magnitude - from national Government to individual household level.

Sir Ian, who now works at the University of St Andrews, said mitigation measures must be put in place to counter the issues being seen in the current pandemic.

He told the PA news agency: "This country should understand better where its real vulnerabilities lie and make sure that those vulnerabilities are catered for by, for example, stockpiling certain critical materials.

"We should have certain rules in place that for critical materials we need so many weeks or months of supply to be stocked within the country and at the moment we do not do anything like that.

"The business as usual we've had in the past cannot be the business as usual we see in the future."

Sir Ian claimed a similar crisis "will happen again" and it is important lessons are learned from this one.

He said: "People should not come to the end of this thinking 'this will never happen again'.

"That is not true, it will happen again. When? No-one can tell. From where? Nobody can tell - but it will happen."

In a piece for research journal Nature, Sir Ian wrote that some of the steps laid out to counter pandemics during planning sessions had not been enacted in response to Covid-19.

He wrote: "We learnt what would help but did not necessarily implement those lessons.

"The assessment, in many sectors of Government, was that the resulting medicine was so strong that it would be spat out.

"Nobody likes living under a fortress mentality."

The professor said simulated exercises - one of which was an influenza pandemic that killed 200,000 people - showed the UK to be "poorly prepared".

He claimed planning exercises only went as far as identifying the "stresses" in the country, as well as setting up a command and control structure, which he said was down to the public, and by extension Government officials, regarding a pandemic as a "low threat".

Sir Ian added: "We probably should have been spending a lot more of our money on mitigation processes and changing the structure of Government in order to make sure that when these things happen then we're managing these much better than we are able to do at the moment."

Speaking after the publication of the article, Sir Ian said now is not the time for criticism of the Government response, saying those responding to the crisis were doing an "extraordinarily good job".

A message from the Editorial Director, Gillian Parkinson:

Thank you for reading this story on our website.

But I also have an urgent plea to make of you.

In order for us to continue to provide high quality local news on this free-to-read site and in print, please purchase a copy of our newspaper as well.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on our town centres and many of our valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you buying a copy when you pop out for your essential shop or subscribing for delivery.

Our journalists are highly trained by the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards anywhere in the world. Our content is universally trusted - as all independent research proves.

As Baroness Barran said in a House of Lords debate this week on the importance of journalists: "Not only are they a trusted source of facts, but they will have a role to play in rallying communities and getting the message across about how we can keep ourselves and our families safe, and protect our NHS. Undoubtedly, they have a critical role."

But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis. In return we will continue to forensically cover the local news - not only the impact of the virus but all the positive and uplifting news happening in these dark days.

We thank all our readers and advertisers for their understanding and support - and we wish YOU all the best in the coming weeks. Keep safe, and follow the Government advice. Thank you.

HOW TO SUBSCRIBE: You can subscribe for delivery by contacting us at [email protected] or calling us on 0330 4033004 for details of a participating newsagent near you.