Victim scared after attack in bed

Thomas Boyle
Thomas Boyle

A WIGAN man says he is scared to live in his own home after the man who battered him beyond recognition in his bed has been allowed to walk free.

Thomas Boyle, of Poolstock, has been left petrified after Adam Foster assaulted him while he was sleeping.

Photograph of his injuries - Thomas Boyle

Photograph of his injuries - Thomas Boyle

The 24-year-old from Lee Lane, Horwich, admitted causing actual bodily harm and theft when he appeared at Liverpool Crown Court and was given a 12-month suspended sentence for two years, as well as being ordered to pay £500 compensation and £100 victim surcharge.

The attack happened in the early hours of November 14 last year. And Thomas, 57, who moved from his native home in the west coast of Ireland 20 years ago, is terrified he will be attacked again.

He said: “The worst thing was that he was an acquaintance. He was drinking in my house. He fell asleep on the sofa and I couldn’t wake him up so I went to bed. Later on that evening, he came into my room, robbed me and attacked me in my bed.

“He punched me several times and knocked my teeth out. I had to have an operation on my lip and my face was smashed up, with my teeth knocked out. I now have to drink through a straw. I also suffered bad cigarette burns on my hands. I was covered in blood for hours.”

The welder and fabricator says he is now no longer able to work due to depression and is exasperated at the leniency of Foster’s sentence.

He said: “At court, I wanted to give my side of the story and tell the judge how it had impacted on me.

“The barrister read out my victim impact statement but I was not able to say anything because he pleaded guilty and so they didn’t need to hear my side as much.

“He has got away scot-free. He beat me up in my own bed and nothing has been done about it,

“I don’t understand the law. I would have thought he would have gone to prison - but a suspended sentence is a joke.

“It is disgraceful and I am scared he will do it again. Ever since the attack seven months ago I have suffered with depression. This is the worst thing that has happened in my life. My life has turned upside down. I am afraid in my own home and suffer nightmares. I am too scared to open my front door.

“I am lucky to be alive.”