Vile street attacker is jailed

Share this article

SO violent was a brawl involving a Wigan thug that a policeman arriving at the scene thought he was witnessing a murder, a court heard.

Alan Hollingmode, 22, of Hackworth Close, Scholes, was this week jailed for 25 months for his part in the vicious assault on a Blackpool street.

He, co-defendant Dale Hanson and a third man were said to have been play-fighting in the resort last August whe Hollingmode ran over and punched one of a group of three men who had been enjoying a night out, Preston Crown Court was told. The violence then escalated.

Hanson, 21 of Coronation Street, Blackpool, was jailed for 27 months after both he and Hollingmode pleaded guilty to violent disorder.

Mr Paul Brookwell, prosecuting, said the three victims had been on a night out in Blackpool and were walking down Caunce Street eating takeaway food when they came across the defendants play-fighting among themselves.

But Hollingmode then ran over to punch one of the men in the face and a fight followed.

A third unknown man was seen to kick one of those on the gruond while Hanson was seen to stamp on someone.

Mr Brookwell added: “He appeared to be gripping a garden wall to get more purchase as he stamped on an unconscious man.

“A police officer at the scene thought he was witnessing a murder. Others came out of a nearby address and joined in what was taking place.”

One of the injured men was taken unconscious to hospital. He had swelling to the right side of his face, two black eyes and there was the pattern of a footprint on the left side of his face.

A second victim had blood on the outside of his skull. He went on to make a full recovery.

Police arrested seven other people, as well as the defendants but no charges were brought against them.

Mr Andrew Alty, defending Hollingmode, said the defendants and another person were initially involved. Others then joined in of their own volition. The defendant was drunk and had genuine remorse.

At one point in the incident he had been pulling his co-defendant away.

Mr Alty said “The offence wasn’t pre-meditated or planned. The attack was two and a half minutes long, not a considerable period of time.

“Mercifully, there were no serious injuries and no long lasting effects”.