Warning after bin set on fire in field

Residents are being warned to keep wheelie bins in a safe location after one was torched in a field.

Sunday, 20th March 2016, 10:41 am
Updated Sunday, 20th March 2016, 11:46 am
Fire service

Firefighters were called to the site of the old Abraham Guest school in Orrell at around 12.15am on Sunday.

They found the bin had been set alight towards the bottom of the field off Redwood Avenue.

The isolated location of the incident meant crews took around half an hour to deal with the blaze and firefighters are now urging Wiganers to ensure their bins are placed securely where they cannot be stolen.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

They also condemned the yobs who set the bin alight, saying dealing with such fires ties up crews who may be needed for real emergencies.

Crew commander Mike Fairhurst from Wigan fire station said: “The fire was right at the bottom of the field, giving us difficulties accessing it.

“Unfortunately we ended up going backwards and forwards with a couple of buckets.

“We would just like to remind residents once again to keep their bins in a safe location, away from their property but secure enough that they can’t be stolen.”