Wife admits ‘victim’ bribe

editorial image
Share this article

A WOMAN was so desperate to help her husband when he was accused of rape that she tried to buy off the alleged Wigan victim.

Louise Ulshan approached the woman, who lives in Goose Green, and offered her £5,000 to drop proceedings but she refused and told the police.

Ironically Ulshan’s pizza delivery driver husband, Tayub Amin, later stood trial and was found not guilty of the sex attack and walked free.

Ulshan, 26, of Royal Avenue, Bury, pleaded guilty to attempting to pervert the course of justice and was this week given a suspended jail sentence.

Judge Stephen Clarke told Ulshan that he accepted she had acted out of desperation but pointed out that it was a serious offence.

He imposed a six-month prison sentence suspended for two years and ordered her to carry out 200 hours’ unpaid work and attend a probation New Directions course.

Harry Pepper, prosecuting, told Liverpool Crown Court that while her husband was in custody on remand Ulshan went round to the Wigan home of the 36-year-old woman on September 10 last year and offered her £5,000 to drop the rape allegation.

The woman refused and called the police and Ulshan was arrested.

Mark Connor, defending, said that Ulshan, who has no previous convictions, had “acted out of desperation”.

The mother-of-three had admitted her guilt and was unlikely to re-offend.

Amin, 27, had vehemently denied the rape charge and told a Liverpool Crown Court jury that it had been consensual sex that had been initiated by the woman.

He told the court that he had gone out to his vehicle to take pizzas to two addresses in Wigan in the early hours of April 15 2012 and saw the woman in a town centre car park.

The woman, who had drunk wine, Taboo and 16 Jagermeister bombs, had found herself alone after a night out with a friend.

Amin said that she repeatedly asked if she could come with him and he agreed to give her a lift home.

He said that during the journey the woman, who could not be named for legal reasons, began to make sexual advances towards him which he rejected but to which he eventually succumbed.

When they parked by her home she invited him in but he told her he needed to get back to work.

But they ended up kissing and they began touching each others and she said she wanted him to have sex with him.

He said he moved their seats back and they had intercourse.

Amin told the court, “All I was thinking was I had cheated on my wife and it wasn’t right what I had done.”

The jury of seven women and five men found Amin not guilty and the judge discharged him from the dock.