Wife did not live to see sex charge hubbie freed

Top story
Top story

A WIGAN gran took a fatal drug overdose just hours before her husband was due to appear in the dock accused of child sex crimes.

An inquest heard that Carol Tsoi did not live long enough to discover that spouse Kam was cleared of all charges.

She had been said to be “terrified” about the forthcoming hearing at Liverpool Crown Court and this distress came on top of existing significant medical problems and the trauma of a recent bereavement.

Mrs Tsoi didn’t leave a suicide note and had told her own doctor that she wanted to attend the trial to support him.

Bolton Coroner’s Court was told she appeared to be in a positive mood when the whole family left their home in Preston Road, Standish, last October 12 to attend to a car boot sale.

But Wigan assistant coroner Geoffrey Saul found that the 64-year-old supervisor later that day or early the next morning took her own life. She had retired to her own bedroom early in the evening, having declined an evening meal and bolted the door from the inside.

The discovery was made the following morning by son Michael, who had been staying over with his wife and children. She was lying face down on the floor next to her bed and “clearly deceased”.

Former soldier Michael had been forced to shoulder-charge the bungalow’s bedroom door open after his mum failed to answer pleas to come for the breakfast which his chef father Kam was busy cooking.

The hearing was told she was already being treated for depression following the death of her own beloved father and the loss of pet dog Izzy.

Mrs Tsoi was also battling diabetes, asthma, increasing problems with arthritis for which she was facing a future hip transplant and problems with sporadic alcohol dependency.

She had undergone a gastric band operation in an effort to control her weight but was also suffering from bowel problems.

Shortly after Mrs Tsoi’s death, the Wigan inquest was told, Mr Tsoi, 66, who didn’t attend, was acquitted at Liverpool Crown Court of nine counts of alleged historic sex crimes against four young girls.

Wigan Infirmary-based pathologist Dr Stephen Wells confirmed that Mrs Tsoi had died because of an over dose of codeine - samples found her six times over the safe limit - and paracetomol.

Although ethanol was found in her blood and urine, it was below the legal driving limit and was not expected to have affected her judgement.

Police ruled out foul play or trauma and Det Con Matthew Higham, who was called to the scene after Mrs Tsoi’s body was discovered, found four empty blister packs which would have contained 40 of the pills, along with other prescription drugs on a bedside cabinet.

In a statement submitted on behalf of her own GP Dr Sanjay Wahie, Mrs Tsoi was said to have had no thoughts about suicide or self-harm in her consultations with him.

Although she was concerned about the “accusations” made against her husband and the forth coming court case, she “wanted to be there for him.”

Michael Tsoi, her eldest son, told the inquest that the day before her death had been a usual one, with all the family visiting a car boot sale and then making arrangements to have a family car collected to be scrapped.

He said that, since the gastric band operation, it was “quite common” for his mother to decline an evening meal or to retire to her own bedroom earlier than the rest of the family, to read.

He said that Mrs Tsoi had been locked in a downward spiral of physical and mental health issues.

She had been treated at hospital for an anxiety attack and was deeply affected by the death of his grandfather and the family pet.

He said: “It was just one thing after another and she never fully recovered from something before there was something else.

“She was terrified about the court case and what may happen.

“I think she had had enough.”