Wigan firefighters urge residents to "ban the pan" following spate of chip pan fires

Wigan firefighters are urging residents to stop using chip pans following a spate of kitchen fires.

Saturday, 7th April 2018, 9:57 am
Updated Saturday, 7th April 2018, 10:06 am
Firefighters say "ban the pan"

The message comes after crews tackled a blaze at an Abram home last night. Firefighters were called to the property on Warrington Road at around midnight on Saturday morning following reports of a fire started by a chip pan.

Fortunately the family had managed to evacuate the house, which was filled with smoke when crews arrived.

Wigan watch manager Carl Gleaves, said: "There have been three chip pan fires now in as many weeks. It's a worrying trend. We would urge people to use thermostat-controlled deep fat fryers instead. Chip pans if left unattended will get hotter and hotter and eventually just set on fire."

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Three firefighters attended the property for over an hour and had to use breathing apparatus and hose reels to get the flames under control. Eventually they used a damp cloth and a foam extinguisher to put the fire out, but watch manager Gleaves issued another warning to residents not to try and extinguish a chip pan fire themselves.

The family, who were all unharmed in the incident, were alerted to the fire by the only working smoke alarm on the property.

Watch manager Gleaves said: "There was only one working smoke alarm. There were no other smoke alarms and the remaining one was old and believed to be redundant but it did its job. We advise everyone to check they have working smoke alarms."

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service conduct free safe and well visits which involve fitting working smoke alarms where needed.

To book a visit call 0800 555 815 or visit www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/keeping-you-safe/safe-and-well