Wigan high-rise flat residents evacuated after fire breaks out on the tenth floor

Firefighters bravely fought the flames at the Wigan high-rise
Firefighters bravely fought the flames at the Wigan high-rise

Firefighters evacuated the tenth floor of a Wigan high-rise block of flats last night after a fire broke out in one of the kitchens.


Six fire engines attended the blaze at Brook House flats in Scholes after calls from a resident who had seen debris falling from a window above their apartment.

The fire broke out just before 9.30pm last night (Saturday) and firefighters spent three and a half hours at the scene dousing the flames and making sure the building was safe for residents to return.

The resident of the burning flat was not at home at the time, but later appeared after crews had been called. It is believed that a heated cooking appliance was the source of the fire, which ravaged the kitchen and caused significant smoke and fire damage throughout the flat. Several neighbouring residents presented symptoms of smoke inhalation and were treated at the scene by paramedics.

Watch manager, Carl Gleaves, said that in light of the Grenfell Tower blaze - residents are urged to decide whether they think it is safe to leave the building or stay put until emergency services arrive to deal with the situation.

"People need to be aware that it is up to the individual to decide if leaving is safe," he said. "If a community area is very smoke-logged it may sometimes be safer to stay until crews arrive.

"For us this is become a worrying trend there have been six or seven kitchen or chip pan fires in recent weeks. It is important people know the dangers of using heating appliances and never to leave cooking unattended."

Crews used hose reels and breathing apparatus to bring the flames under control and were joined by an specialist aerial unit.

Firefighters urged residents to check their smoke alarms as there was not a working alarm at the flat in question.

They will be returning this week to conduct safety visits and handle any concerns about smoke alarms.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service runs a "safe and well" scheme in which firefighters will visit homes to check their safety and install smoke alarms where needed.

To book a safe and well visit call 0800 555 815.