Wigan teen rushed to burns unit with serious injuries following chip pan fire

A Wigan teen is in hospital with serious burns after a chip pan burst into flames.

Tuesday, 24th April 2018, 10:13 am
Updated Tuesday, 24th April 2018, 10:26 am
Firefighters treated her at the scene before she received hospital treatment

The 19-year-old woman received burns to her face, hands and airway after throwing water onto a lit chip pan causing flames to explode across the kitchen.

Firefighters were called to the home on Broadfern, a new housing estate on Rectory Lane in Standish, just after 6.30pm last night (Monday).

On arrival they found that the flames had gone out but the teen had sustained significant injuries in the fire.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Watch manager Jon Roscoe said: “She was taken to Wigan Infirmary and was transferred to Whiston burns unit. A&E staff were desperate to get her seen to.

“She had been cooking chips in the chip pan when it caught fire and she put water on it. It flashed up in her face and damaged her face, hands and airway.

“It also caused significant damage to the kitchen and melted the window blind.”

Crews were called by a neighbour and immediately treated the woman for her injuries. Wigan, Hindley and Chorley firefighters attended, including those trained in trauma treatment.

“They put dressings on her burns and began cooling her down straight away,” said watch manager Roscoe.

Special gel packs designed to treat victims of intense heat were applied to the teenage casualty to bring her temperature down before she was taken to hospital. She also suffered minor smoke inhalation.

Firefighters have issued a strong message following the incident to anyone who owns or uses a chip pan.

“Ban the pan,” said Mr Roscoe. “It is much safer to just buy chippy chips or use a proper deep fat fryer. If you must use a chip pan and it does catch fire, do not throw water on it, do not throw a tea towel on it, just turn the heat off, step away and call 999.

“Chip pans do over heat and do set fire so it is preferable not to use them at all.”

The incident is just one in a string of chip pan fires which have occured in Wigan in the past few weeks.

Last month firefighters warned of the dangers of the equipment after attended three chip pan fires in just three weeks.

Crews are also urging people to check their smoke alarms. The woman did have a working smoke alarm which activated during the blaze.

Anyone concerned about the safety of their home can arrange a free safe and well visit by calling 0800 555 815 or click here