Woman had knife in handbag after row

Wigan and Leigh Magistrates' Court
Wigan and Leigh Magistrates' Court

A WOMAN who was found wandering the Wigan streets with a knife in her handbag following a domestic dispute has avoided jail.

Catherine Carter, from Marsh Green, was stopped by police on Beverley Road and a small kitchen knife was found on her possession.

Carter pleaded guilty to having a bladed weapon at Wigan and Leigh Magistrates’ Court and was given an eight-week prison sentence but this was suspended for 18 months.

Justices heard that police attended an address on Canberra Road last December 9 following reports of a domestic incident and ware told that 37-year-old Carter had left the house.

She was found nearby and, when officers came across the knife while searching her, she was arrested on suspicion of having an offensive weapon.

The court was told Carter had no recollection of placing the small blade in her handbag but Greater Manchester Police (GMP) quickly established that she had in fact done so.

Defending, Melissa Fagan said her client was sorry for her actions and appealed for magistrates to avoid putting her behind bars even though the offence also meant she was in breach of a community order previously imposed by a crown court judge.

Ms Fagan said: “She had an argument with her partner and towards the tail end of it picked up from the sink a very small kitchen knife.

“There is no suggestion she did anything untoward while in the house.

“She did not brandish it, use it or issue any threats.

“She went out of the house to clear her head and cannot recall placing the knife in her handbag, although it is quite clear that she unwittingly did so.

“The offence is that she left the address and had it with her in a public place.

“The knife is of domestic use and cannot be described as dangerous.

“She was nothing other than compliant with the police and there was no struggle or suggestion of an escalation in her behaviour.

“She did also express remorse when speaking to the probation service.”

Magistrates gave Carter a suspended prison sentence, ordered that the knife be destroyed and also required her to complete a rehabilitation activity.

She was also told to pay an £80 victim’s surcharge and £85 towards court costs.