Woman rescued from flat blaze

A stock image of Wigan fire engines
A stock image of Wigan fire engines

A RESCUE operation by Wigan firefighters prevented a chip pan blaze from becoming a fatal accident.

Crews from Wigan and Hindley were called to Princess Road in Ashton at 11pm on Sunday to reports a resident was trapped inside a property.

A view of Princess Street, Ashton

A view of Princess Street, Ashton

A 47-year-old woman was found unconscious in the flat and was treated by paramedics at the scene.

Crew manager Paul Baines said the incident was “a few minutes away” from becoming fatal.

He added: “The woman was in a bad way, four officers entered the building and used thermal imaging equipment to locate her.

“The kitchen had caught fire from the unattended chip pan and neighbours had been alerted to the danger by a shared smoke alarm system. They could see a lot of smoke coming from the flat and called us.

“We could have been talking about a tragic accident, the flat was smoke damaged and the kitchen is completely fire damaged.

“Our crew members found her face down, unconscious on the floor.”

The woman was taken to Wigan Infirmary.

Crew manager Baines added: “Do not leave cooking attended and ban the chip pan completely. This also shows how important it is to have a working smoke alarm.”