Woman taken to hospital following a house fire

An elderly Wigan woman has been taken to hospital after a fire broke out in her home this morning.

Saturday, 29th April 2017, 5:36 pm
Updated Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 6:34 pm
The fire broke out just before midday

Firefighters were called to the Tatham Grove property, in Winstanley, just before midday.

Crews from Wigan and Hindley fought the flames which started in the porch after candles were left unattended.

The woman, who was inside the property when the fire broke out, was outside by the time firefighters arrived.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

She was taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Watch manager Clitheroe said: "Do not leave candles unattended. Always make sure someone is with them at all times and that all candles are extinguished before leaving."

Paramedics and police were also on the scene.

The "White Watch Crew" stayed at the property for around 90 minutes using breathing apparatus and equipment to remove any smoke from the property.