First contact with Wigan Athletic administrators 'was last Wednesday'

Gerald Krasner says he and his colleague Paul Stanley were first contacted regarding Wigan Athletic last Wednesday (June 24) by a Manchester-based barrister who had been contacted by lawyers representing the owners.

Thursday, 2nd July 2020, 12:22 pm
Updated Thursday, 2nd July 2020, 12:26 pm
The DW Stadium

Krasner said there was no prospect of the owners putting in "one more penny".

He hoped by the end of July to be in a position to have whittled down to one or two serious interested parties.

"(Prospective buyers) have got to prove funds of a minimum of £10million," he said. "Would I take £10m today for everything? No."

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He confirmed that player and staff wages are due to be paid on Friday, and Krasner said: "If wages are paid - even if they are not paid in full - everybody feels a bit better."

Krasner warned the owners would have "no say" in which creditors receive money from any sale.

"Any creditor at the top may not see anything out of this," he said.

"Any (new) purchaser will have to pay off all the football creditors and they could be somewhere between £3m and £4m.

"The way football works is you cannot transfer the football share unless the football creditors are paid in full and (the prospective new owners) pass the fit and proper person test."