Huddersfield Town 0 Wigan Athletic 0

Callum McManaman
Callum McManaman
Share this article

WIGAN Athletic ended their away-day misery with a first point on the road since May on an otherwise frustrating night in West Yorkshire.

But Uwe Rosler will be reflecting on another case of what might have been after his side dominated but again failed to make the most of their chances.

The visitors will point to a controversial flashpoint on the half-hour mark when Callum McManaman appeared to be felled inside the penalty area only to be awarded a yellow card for diving.

Wigan also felt they had two strong second-half shouts for a penalty, only for referee Sebastian Stockbridge to wave play on.

New-boy Andy Delort was once again a menace up front for Latics, forcing Town goalkeeper Alex Smithies into a fabulous fingertip save with his best effort in the first half.

At the other end Scott Carson had a far quieter night, although the former England man had to be alert right at the death to prevent a late strike from Jon Stead sneaking over the goalline.

With both teams in disappointing form, it was no surprise that this one was scrappy from the off.

The home side offered first as a Nahki Wells cross threatened danger only for Andrew Taylor to clear at the far post.

Latics showed themselves when Emyr Huws played a nice ball in and the header from Rob Kiernan was only just over the crossbar.

Delort, again preferred to Oriol Riera up front, was his typical lively attacking presence for the visitors.

He was nearly on the end of a McManaman cross from the left, before lining a 35-yard free-kick that cannoned back off the wall.

The Frenchman is clearly not lacking confidence on his new adventure in England, and he again tried his luck from long range, this time clearing the bar comfortably.

Delort’s radar was significantly better on the half-hour mark, when his rasping drive was magnificently tipped over the top by Smithies at full strength.

McManaman was then played through one-on-one with Smithies, but by the time he got his shot off it was deflected wide off a grateful defender for a corner.

From the subsequent set-piece, James Perch saw his header again force a great save from Smithies.

But just as it looked like a Latics goal was inevitable, the Terriers broke and almost took the lead, with Carson haring off his line to narrow down the angle for an unmarked Wells.

Latics thought they’d fashioned an opening 10 minutes before the break when McManaman wriggled away from two defenders before being clipped inside the area.

However, the referee ruled instead that the Wigan man had gone to ground too easily, and brandished the yellow card in his direction.

Wigan remained on top and Huws cut in from the right just before half-time only to see his shot blocked.

And the Welshman was almost in within moments of the restart, firing straight at Smithies from a good position.

Latics made their first change on the hour mark with Mcmanaman making way for James McClean’s first appearance of the campaign.

And still the visitors continued to do the lion’s share of the pressing, with Delort aiming another effort just over the top.

Latics did survive a scare when Town substitute Sean Scannell’s cross looked to be on its way in before the intervention of Emmerson Boyce at the far post.

James Tavernier and Riera took over from Taylor and Delort as Rosler played his final hand inside the final quarter.

And the Spanish striker was almost an immediate hero only to see his fierce volley fly just over the top.

Carson had to be on his guard to prevent Stead’s close-range effort sneaking over the line, before Latics failed to take one last chance in stoppage-time.

Tavernier’s deep free-kick found Huws deep inside the area, but the midfielder’s first attempt was blocked before he deposited the rebound high into the away end.

Latics: Carson; Perch, Boyce, Ramis, Kiernan, Taylor; Cowie, Kvist, Huws; McManaman, Delort.

Subs: Al Habsi, Tavernier (for Perch, 72), Barnett, Forshaw, Maloney, McClean (for McManaman, 62), Riera (for Delort, 76).

Huddersfield: Smithies; Smith, Hudson, Lynch, Robinson; Ward, Coady, Peltier, Butterfield; Wells, Stead.

Subs: Murphy, Wallace (for Lynch, 76), Dixon, Majewski, Bunn, Scannell (for Ward, 46), Lolley.