I’m made for English football, reckons Delort

Andy Delort puts pen to paper with Latics' chief exec Jonathan Jackson
Andy Delort puts pen to paper with Latics' chief exec Jonathan Jackson
Share this article

WIGAN Athletic new-boy Andy Delort insists he has all the tools to hit the ground running in English football.

The 22-year-old was one of four deadline-day signings at the DW, along with Brentford’s Adam Forshaw, Denmark international William Kvist and loan star Emyr Huws on a permanent deal.

Delort was presented to the crowd before Saturday’s 4-0 win over Birmingham, and he says he’ll have no problem adjusting to life in English football.

“I’ve often been called an English-type player in France, because my style of play is relatively physical and aggressive,” he told the Evening Post.

“From an adaptation point of view I don’t think I will have any problems in settling in.

“I’ve always looked up to English football, and it’s always been an ambition of mine to play over here and establish myself.”

Delort has the perfect chance to settle in with Wigan’s next game at Blackburn not until Saturday week.

Several of his new colleagues are in action during the international break, including fellow deadline-day recruit Kvist.

The 29-year-old is set to win his 48th Denmark cap tonight in the friendly against Turkey.

There could also be an intriguing Latic-versus-Latic clash in Dublin as Ireland take on Ali Al Habsi’s Oman.

James McClean could feature for the home side despite not having played for Wigan this season because of an ankle injury.

Further afield Emmerson Boyce will lead Barbados in their Caribbean Cup clash against Suriname, while Marc-Antoine Fortune’s French Guiana take on Grenada.

Fraser Fyvie scored a dramatic double yesterday as the Latics Development Squad recorded a last-gasp 4-3 victory over Wrexham.

Martyn Waghorn opened the scoring midway through the first half, before the North Welsh side took charge and led 3-1 at the hour mark.

Fyvie immediately pulled one back and then equalised with two minutes to go, before youngster Tim Chow popped up with the winner in stoppage-time.