Leeds 2 Latics 0

Latics news
Latics news
Share this article

WIGAN Athletic slipped to their fourth defeat in a row following a 2-0 defeat to Leeds United at Elland Road.

Two goals from Ross McCormack helped heap more misery on Wigan who began life without Owen Coyle with a slightly different look to them.

Caretaker boss Graham Barrow made four changes to the Latics side that lost 3-1 to Derby on Sunday. Scott Carson returned in goal while there were also starts for James Perch, Jean Beausejour and Chris McCann.

There was a noticable change in formation too with Barrow reverting to the wing back system which was used under Roberto Martinez.

It took Wigan a while to get into the game with Leeds dominating the opening 20 minutes.

The hosts proved to be a real danger from set pieces and took the lead inside just 15 minutes from a lethal corner which Latics failed to clear. After Tom Lees headed the ball back across goal, it fell to McCormack who stabbed home.

Leeds continued to pump the ball forward down the channels, testing Emmerson Boyce and Beausejour who were on the wings.

Latics stood strong though and began to settle, getting the ball on the deck and playing some decent football.

It was 26 minutes until they had their first chance on goal when the ball fell to Ben Watson just inside the area but instead of firing a first-time effort on goal, he took a touch and gave the Leeds defence a chance to rush out and block his shot.

Wigan continued to build momentum with some nice passing play. Watson, Chris McCann and James McArthur started to win the battle in the middle, where they had been overrun early doors.

Will Keane had two very similar chances to draw Latics level. The first saw him superbly lose his man to get on the end of a blocked McArthur effort but Paddy Kenny rushed out to deny him from close range.

The second saw him latch onto another loose ball right in front of goal but once again Kenny made himself big to deny him.

Leeds looked dangerous on the break though and came close again when Rodolph Austin dragged an effort across goal.

Wigan’s best chance of the half came on the stroke of half-time. After McCann’s effort was deflected behind, Boyce lost his man from the resulting corner and had a free header from six yards out.

However the Latics skipper couldn’t get it on target and Barrow’s side went in at the break a goal down.

Wigan came back out in much the same manner, dominating the midfield and pressing forward. Barrow furthered his attacking options 10 minutes after the break when he brought on James McClean and Grant Holt for Beausejour and Keane.

Latics continued to press after the double substitution with Nick Powell coming close with a header before McClean just couldn’t get on the end of superb ball from Boyce.

The chances soon faded though and Leeds started to get back into the game. Another corner resulted in a goal-mouth scramble before Tom Lees blazed his shot over.

Barrow continued the attacking theme with the substitutions when Callum McManaman came on for Powell but he had to help out with some more defending as Leeds continued to press for a second.

And they looked like they were going to get it when Ivan Ramis slipped, allowing Matt Smith the chance to go one on one with Carson, but the keeper pulled off an unbelievable save to keep Latics in the game.

The defence did buckle with 10 minutes to go though. McCormack fired in a fierce free-kick from the left-handside which bounced all the way in. The announcer at the ground claimed Jason Pearce got a touch and the pair had a slight debate about it. Either way, Latics were 2-0 down.

To their credit, Wigan didn’t lie down and did their best to get on the scoresheet. First, McManaman curled an effort wide after Holt held the ball up well before Watson missed the target from 20 yards.

It wasn’t enough though and Latics’ miserable form brought another defeat.