Martinez slams goal decision

Costly mistake - referee Andre Marriner
Costly mistake - referee Andre Marriner

WIGAN boss Roberto Martinez was left to count the cost of what he called the ‘disgraceful decision’ that robbed Latics of all three points against Blackburn.

Latics looked to be heading for three priceless points after Albert Crusat’s 88th-minute strike before Yakubu equalised with a penalty eight minutes into injury time.

But Martinez preferred to focus on Blackburn’s second goal on the hour, which dragged the visitors back level at 2-2 despite having David Dunn sent off.

Yakubu placed the ball for Morten Gamst Pedersen but did not appear to touch it before Pedersen dribbled towards the box and crossed for Junior Hoilett to bundle home.

And the normally placid Spaniard was struggling to keep his cool as he counted the cost of referee Andre Marriner’s controversial call.

“Their second goal came from a disgraceful decision,” Martinez told the Evening Post.

“For the referee to say Yakubu touched the ball, when the video replays show clearly that he didn’t, is very tough to accept.”

Martinez also insisted his side’s “small voice” in the Premier League is counting against them big time.

“If I am going to be honest about it I am going to get into trouble and it is going to cost me a lot of money,” Martinez added.

“But it seems too easy to get these decisions wrong.

“We are a small voice in the competition and we played like a real giant in the competition in the manner in which we coped with the pressure of getting a result.

“The decision is hard to take and hard to explain. It didn’t seem to me that he (Yakubu) touched the ball, so how he (the referee) could allow that is really hurtful.

“The players don’t know why it was allowed. It’s my fault because I ask the players not to complain or get in trouble with dissent or dive - and it’s costing us points.

“I don’t want to sound bitter.

“But I’m sure if that had happened at Anfield they would have been talking about it for three weeks.

“I’m sure today after 20 minutes it will all be forgotten.”

Martinez was less concerned with the injury-time penalty which referee Marriner awarded after David Jones’ high kick caught Rovers goalkeeper Paul Robinson – up for a late corner – in the face.

“It is clear David catches Paul Robinson’s head,” Martinez recognised.

“I can understand why he gave a penalty but I don’t know why he allowed the corner when it was 20 seconds over the six minutes (added time).

“It is frustrating because you feel that being Wigan you have to do something extra to win a football game.

“But I am not going to blame the referee apart from the second goal.”