Sharpe adamant Latics will have transfer pulling power

David Sharpe
David Sharpe

DAVID Sharpe is adamant Wigan Athletic’s demotion to League One will not have a negative effect on their ability to strengthen in the transfer market.

The Latics chairman revealed his intention earlier this month to bring in up to 15 new players to bolster Gary Caldwell’s squad ahead of next term.

It’s going to be interesting what goes on, because the targets we’re looking at aren’t steady League One players

David Sharpe

With the budget having been slashed following a second relegation in three seasons, the newly-installed recruitment team are working tirelessly to identify the men they feel can take Latics back up to the Championship at the first attempt.

And despite Wigan’s profile having dipped since their FA Cup victory in 2013, Sharpe says the club is still capable of selling itself to proposed targets.

“The conversations I’m having with agents and people in the game is that a lot of players are willing to take a step back to take two forward,” he said.

“They see Wigan as still a big, big club and they’ve been very excited about the project we’re undertaking under Gary.

“It’s going to be interesting what goes on, because the targets we’re looking at aren’t steady League One players.

“We’re being very ambitious with what we’re doing, and we want to build a team that will not just get us out of League One, but one that will hopefully be fighting for promotion back to the Premier League in two years.”

Latics got their recruitment drive under way last Wednesday with the capture of midfielder David Perkins, who was released by Blackpool following their relegation from the Championship.

They also continue to be strongly linked with Chesterfield winger Sam Clucas, after seeing a bid believed to be in the region of £500,000 rejected.

Tranmere midfielder Max Power and Bristol City striker Jay-Emmanuel Thomas have also been mooted as possible transfer targets.