Uwe: Ref was right to stop match

Latics players surround the ref after he called off the game against Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough
Latics players surround the ref after he called off the game against Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough
Share this article

LATICS boss Uwe Rosler admitted he had ‘no complaints’ about referee Keith Stroud’s decision to abandon last night’s Championship clash at Sheffield Wednesday.

The visitors had been dominant from the first whistle and were good value for their 1-0 half-time lead.

However, after the torrential rain worsened at the start of the second period, Stroud took the decision to take both teams off on the hour mark,meaning the game will be replayed in the new year.

The final straw for the official was seeing Nick Powell race through in search of a second goal, before being dispossessed by a particularly large puddle of water just outside the Wednesday box.

Despite seeing his hopes of a second win in three days dashed, Rosler refused to condemn the official after the game.

“I have no complaints, not really,” Rosler said.

“It’s obviously harsh on us, but I thought the referee did the right thing.

“The safety of both sets of players is paramount, and when Nick Powell can’t convert a one-against-one chance because there is so much water under his feet it had to be called off.”

The official had given the game every chance, speaking to both managers 10 minutes after the restart to gauge their thoughts on whether it should continue.

“The referee said that he was going to give it another go for about five minutes to see what happened and, hopefully, the rain would stop,” Rosler revealed.

“Obviously it didn’t, and I think the Powell chance was the last straw.

“I thought the referee did a very good job throughout the game.

“It was raining in the first half, but the pitch was playable.

“But the more rain fell, the more remained on the pitch and it eventually became unplayable.

“As well as we played for an hour, and as tough as our schedule already is, it was the right decision.”

Although his side were denied what would surely have been another three points, Rosler admits the night was not a total wash-out.

“I enjoyed myself so much tonight, especially the way we played in the first half,” he added.

“We were up against a side who has been on a high, having beaten a number of top teams, who were on a high.

“But the way we played, the way we quietened the crowd, the way we dominated, was very encouraging.

“The only thing I could criticise was the fact we didn’t score goals, because the game should have been safe well before half-time.”

When asked would he have been more frustrated had the game been called off and his side were further in front, he laughed: “Probably, yes!