Melling scores vital try to seal Wigan's first win of the season

A first-half spell where the away side scored three tries in five minutes gave Wigan a long-awaited first win of the season 29-25 over Oswestry.

Wednesday, 2nd November 2016, 2:23 pm
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 4:50 pm
Pat Melling
Pat Melling

Oswestry opened the scoring after 10 minutes but their lead was short lived.

Shortly after the restart, Lee Roby galloped through the middle of the park, carrying defenders with him and created the space for Sammy Makinson to finish in the corner.

A scrum from the restart let Wigan take it wide, with Adam Dwyer making a break down the touchline, before a wonderful back-handed pass created the space for Connor Matthews to touch down under the posts, which Dwyer converted.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Wigan looked capable of scoring with every possession.

Pat Melling made a great break and some quality handling led to Sammy Makinson finishing well in the corner, to round off a devastating five-minute spell of attacking rugby.

Oswestry rallied and managed to come back at Wigan, tying the game at half-time with another converted try and a penalty, to go in at 17-17.

Oswestry started the second half brighter, attacking the Wigan line and scoring first. Now it was Wigan’s turn to add to the scoresheet with a move started deep within their own half that was moved skilfully through the backline, before being passed inside for Matthews to score again.

With the scores tied at 22-22, Oswestry converted a penalty. But Wigan showed a never-say-die attitude and when possession was gifted to them in the dying seconds.

Adam Dwyer took up the attack, chipped over the onrushing defenders for Pat Melling to collect and score the match-winning try, which was ably converted by Dwyer.

Aspull 55 Newton le Willows 0

Aspull put on their best display of the season, thrashing second-placed Newton and scoring nine excellent tries.

The visitors had no answer to Aspull’s power and pace as the home side dominated from the kick-off.

The forwards controlled the rucks and lineouts and continually made holes in the Newton defence.

First-half tries came from Johny Liniker , Tom Johnson, Liam West and Andrew Seddon.Kieron Ford added two conversions to give Aspull a 22-0 half-time lead.

Aspull continued to control the second half and scored five more tries though Craig Smith (2), Michael Webb (2) and Ford.

Ford also added four more conversions to his tally and rack-up a scoreline, which acts as a huge boost to Aspull’s promotion hopes.

Orrell 43 Ashton Under Lyne 7

Orrell started well with a penalty from Chris Owen and, with the opposition down to 14, good line out ball and some handling through the back line helped Louis Whitfield stretch over for the opening try for 8-0 at the interval.

Although Orrell were reduced to 14, Lloyd Davies the miscreant, Josh Grant put James Glover through to touch down for Orrell’s second and Scott Robinson added the conversion.

From a series of pick and drives John Statter was stopped short but Dan Huxley picked up to score Orrell’s third, converted by Robinson.

Orrell were again reduced to 14 again when David Wane was yellow carded then 13 when Richard Finney followed suit.

Ashton took advantage with a converted try.

Still down to 14 Alex Gaskell went in at the corner to secure the bonus point, Robinson again on hand with the extras.

Back to full strength and from good pass by Wane from the back of a ruck James Glover put Owen through for the fifth.

Orrell continued to put pressure on and from a quick tap Gaskell crossed for the sixth.

Robinson was again on hand with the boot to put Orrell fourth in the North Lancashire League.