Bridge out of drop zone

Ince Rose Bridge (red and black kit) take on York
Ince Rose Bridge (red and black kit) take on York
Share this article

INCE Rose Bridge moved out of the National Conference League Premier Division relegation zone for the first time in two months when they defeated fellow strugglers York Acorn 32-24.

However, it was York who struck first, with only two minutes of the game gone winger Ryan Gallagher raced 50 metres and with only the Rose Bridge full back to beat he passed inside to his second rower Joe Porter to score under the posts. Anthony Chilton kicked the conversion.

On 26 minutes York lost the ball in the tackle on the half way line and the loose ball was well picked up by centre Robbie Valentine who raced half the length of the pitch to touch down at the foot of the posts. Chris Boylan levelled the scores with the conversion.

Five minutes later Rose Bridge edged in front when quick hands out wide found Tony Baker who found his winger Adam Dwyer with a 15-metre pass to score out wide.

Seven minutes later Rose Bridge edged further in front when half back Tony Baker gathered the ball and rounded the York full back from 10 metres out to score under the posts.

On the stroke of half time Rose Bridge were awarded a penalty for holding down in the tackle, Robbie Valentine slotted over the penalty to give Rose Bridge an 18 -6 half time lead.

Six minutes into the second half Rose Bridge spilled the ball deep in the York half of the field, the loose ball was picked up by full back Ash Robson who raced the full length of the field and at just the right moment released the ball to his Stand-off Joe Budd to score by the posts.

On 60 minutes Rose Bridge replied with a try of their own when standoff Kieran Eccleston passed inside to second rower Michael Haughton who evaded two attempted tackles to score from short range. From the boot Chris Boylan gave Rose Bridge a twelve point advantage.

Five minutes later York were penalised again this time for a high tackle, Robbie Valentine duly kicked the two pointer.

With only 10 minutes of the game remaining a lack of concentration in the Rose Bridge defence allowed second rower Joe Porter to score his second try of the match when he barged over the try line from five metres out.

Once again Anthony Chilton kicked the conversion.

From the restart Rose Bridge somehow managed to gain possession and from three metres from the York try line Kieran Eccleston spun out of a tackle to dive under the posts to score his first try of the game. Robbie Valentine gave Rose Bridge a 32-18 lead.

In the dying seconds of the game York winger Arron Thompson intercepted a pass and out paced the Rose Bridge defence to score.

ST Patrick’s continued their run of indifferent from in an unexpected 36-20 defeat away to Skirlaugh.

St Pat’s now slip to fourth place, one point behind the leaders.

Skirlaugh on the other hand lifted themselves off the bottom rung with this victory.

Few points now separate bottom from top, and it only goes to show how competitive the division is.

St Pat’s scored the opening try on two minutes when a Ryan Baxter kick was fumbled and Anthony Atherton swooped for the touchdown.

With their first threatening move second row Lee Nobbs pushed off an indifferent attempt at a tackle for a try converted by centre Ross Kemp, who went on to convert all the Skirlaugh tries.

On the hour Matt Charnock scored an amazing try.

There seemed nothing on when he received a pass following a deep kick, but he set off on a solo run, beating man after man over 90 yards.

At 36-20 there seemed an outside chance that a late rush of points might close the gap, but Skirlaugh managed to stem the flow.and condemn St Pat’s to their second defeat in as many weeks.


THE old saying if you play badly and win its a bonus could be applied to this result with a Jude’s performance littered with silly penalties, bad handling and bad decision making they managed to hang on to beat Stanley Rangers 30-28.

Jude’s opened the scoring on five minutes Scott Robinson gathering a kick through from Dean Hunt to cross and Gareth Thomas added the goal.

Stanley hit back when good approach work saw their wingman cross in the corner and the try was converted.

Jude’s let this game turn into a forward battle which suited the big Stanley pack and home side were coming second best. Dean Hunt sold a dummy and made a good midfield break and prop Martin Riley was up in support to finish it off. Thomas again converted.

Stanley were showing to be a work man like team making few errors and playing the game tight and they crossed again following a kick through and converted to draw level.

The sides were level at half-time but five minutes from time the gap was reduced as Stanley strode through some paper thin defence.

Fortunately for Jude’s the kick sailed wide and they managed to hang on to take the spoils and remain top of the division.


HINDLEY made short work of their opponents by running in a total a total of 15 tries in an 82-0 win over Peterlee.

Hindley opened the scoring as early as the fourth minute when a good interchange of passes from Ryan McKenzie and Rob Bailey saw scrum half Kieron Whittle stroll over under the sticks with Andy Wright converting.

Within minutes Hindley stretched there lead when Winger Ryan McKenzie outpaced his opposite number to cross again Andy Wright converting 12-0.

Peterlee eventually got some good Field position but lack of conviction and dropped ball cost the visitors.

In the 27th min a Neat break from Chris Scarborough saw the full back cross next to the posts, Andy Wright converted.

On 31 minutes a break from Chris Scarborough, found Rob Bailey whose neat pass found Ryan McKenzie who ran in from 30 metres.

With five minutes of the half remaining Kieron Whittle got on the end of a chip through to hack on and touch down in the corner.

On 42 minutes centre Paul Hersnip crossed after good work from Kieron Whittle then Stephen Sutcliffe.

On 45 minutes good forward drives from Gareth Wood and Jeff Tollitt saw Josh Donaghue break the line, a good pass saw Kieron Whittle win the footrace to score his hat-trick try to bring up the half century of points.

Hindley continued to press and on 49 minutes Winger Ryan McKenzie Collected a pass 25 metres out which saw him beat two defenders to score in the corner for his hat-trick try with Andy Wright converting from the touchline to make it 56-0.

With minutes remaining on the clock hard working centre Rob Bailey crosssed twice – the second a great effort after good work from Danny Carney, which saw Bailey beat three defenders to score a try under the posts.