Bridge suffer drop as Skirlaugh secure NCL Premier safety

Amatuer rugby
Amatuer rugby

INCE Rose Bridge will play their rugby in NCL Division One next season after mathematically being relegated in a 24-32 defeat to Skirlaugh at Pinfold Street.

The result confirms the three sides to take the drop this term are York Acorn and Myton Warriors along with the Bridge.

The Warriors and Acorn played out a 20-20 draw as the only technicality left to decide is which order the bottom three clubs will finish.

In Division Three, Wigan St Cuthbert’s fell to a 30-20 defeat to Coventry Bears which leaves the Wigan side in 11th place in the table.

In the North West Men’s League Division Four, Orrell St James’ (inset) beat Bolton Mets 74-12.

Ashton Bears A saw off Westhoughton Lions 46-12 while Hindley A lost 24-0 agaisnt Bury Broncos.

Wigan Bulldogs enjoyed a 24-0 win over New Springs Lions. In Division Two, Wigan St PAtrick’s A defeated Bamber Bridge 46-6 to go two points clear into sixth position in the league table.

St Jude’s A team entertained Ulverston and went down 26-22 in a cracking contest.

St Jude’s started well and after working both sides of the field Mike Roberts flicked out a pass behind for Craig Bithell to score.

With both teams trying to work openings Dave Myerscough ran onto a perfect pass to break through the gap with only the full back to beat he unselfishly passed to Mike Roberts to score.

Ulverston started the second half better and were again on the sore sheet after some poor tackling.

Dave Carney chipped over the top and collected before passing to Darryl King to score under the sticks. Everybody on the Jude’s side was working hard, then in the last five minutes of the game Ulverston forced their way over near the posts to seal the win.

HINDLEY made the long trip to Peterlee for their last NCL game of the season and came away with a 48-4 win.

Hindley started the much brighter of the two sides when onfour minutes, winger Will Melling scooped up a low pass from Ryan McKenzie to crash over in the corner. Minutes later Hindley stretched their advantage when Hooker Stephen Sutcliffe spotted the full-back out of position, a neat chip over the defensive line saw him regather and go over next to the sticks,Raith Stringer converted. Both sides then wasted guilt edged chances to score, with only a great last ditch tackle from full-back Chris Scarborough keeping the Hindley line intact.

Then on 18 minutes the Hosts crossed when prop forward Richard Foster crashed over. Hindley hit back in the 27th minute when stand-off Jake Hughes offloaded to find Kieron Whittle whose short ball found Chris Scarborough to score, Stephen Sutcliffe added the conversion to make it 16-4 to Hindley.

Two minutes later, after good work from Frank Phillips and Rob Bailey, prop Stuart Paul latched on to a defensive error to score.

With only a few minutes of the half remaining, hooker Stephen Sutcliffe saw a chance on the blind side, he drew in two defenders to flick a short ball to winger Raith Stringer who crossed in the corner to give Hindley a 26-4 half-time lead.

Hindley resumed where they had left off,with Chris Scarborough scoring after a wonderful pass from Jake Hughes. Stephen Sutcliffe converted to make it 32-4.

The hosts then pressed the Hindley line but excellent defence saw it stay intact.

On 60 minutes, a crossfield kick was taken by Raith Stringer,this saw him go 80 metres leaving defenders in his wake and a short ball under the sticks found Kieron Whittle in support to score. Raith Stringer added the conversion.

Good defensive work from Ryan Taylor and William Eddlestone won back the ball for Hindley, Rob Bailey skipped past a couple of defenders to find Wayne Crank who touched down.

In the dying minutes of the game hooker Stephen Sutcliffe spotted a huge gap in the defence to cross.