Calloway treble seals points for Grange

Amateur football
Amateur football

IN the South Lancs Counties Premier Division, Highfield Grange played hosts to leaders Halsall and beat them 5-3 after twice coming from behind.

Alex Grisedale opened the scoring after 10 minutes for Halsall, when he saw Highfield’s keeper off his line and a delightful 40-yard chip shot nestled into the back of the net.

Dean Calloway equalised five minutes later after a through ball by Jamie Harrison.

After 25 minutes Halsall were back in front when Grisedale scored with a carbon copy of his first strike – an exquisite chip from 40 yards.

Just before the interval, Tom Jackson equalised when a shot by Calloway was parried by the keeper into Jackson’s path.

After the interval, Calloway rammed home from 20 yards to give Highfield Grange the lead for the first time.

The lead was short-lived however, as from a corner Jamie Harrison could only direct his header into his own net.

With 15 minutes left a thrilling run by James Fagan fed the ball to Harrison, whose backheel was met by Jackson who smashed the ball home.

With just 10 minutes to go, Calloway capitalised on an error by Halsall’s keeper to clinch his hat-trick goal and the match for Highfield Grange which moves them into second place.

Digmoor moved up to fifth place after a convincing 8-1 win against Wigan Cosmos, who remain third bottom.

Up Holland ran out 4-1 winners at bottom club Golborne Parkside.

Tanner FC failed to raise a side against Leigh Genesis.

In Division One, Horwich St Mary’s Res visited Orrell Athletic, who had been unbeaten in five matches, and beat them 1-0. Standish Park Rangers were 4-1 winners against Garswood Utd Yth.

Fallows Way moved up to second spot in Division Two with an 8-2 win against lowly Mitch FC. St Helens Rovers visited second bottom Hawkley Athletic and won by the odd goal in five.

Old Hawardonians defeated Gidlow Athletic Res 5-2 in the Mike Taylor Trophy semi-final.

Brent Helliwell sent them on their way with an early goal and Carl Cover making it 2-0.

Gidlow hit back and poor marking allowed Tan Singh an easy goal, and within minutes it was 2-2 as Mike Waite struck. The second half was plain sailing for the Bolton side as Helliwell completed his hat-trick with two close-range efforts.

The other semi-final saw Atherleigh United enjoy a double celebration as they won the Northgate Vehicle Hire Division Three Championship after Winstanley Warriors Res failed to beat Wigan Rovers Res.

They also defeated Ormskirk 2-1 to reach the Cup Final, so it was a day of delight for Nathan Wall and his young side.

Winstanley Warriors Res drew 1-1 with Wigan Rovers Res, as Joe Barker’s goal was cancelled out by Lee Matthews.

Mitch FC Res won 4-2 at Billinge Community as Ryan Cannon (2), Michael Grey and Frankie Draycott all found the net with Lee Grundy notching both in reply.

Jim Turner Trophy action saw Winstanley St Aidan’s march into the semi-final with a 5-2 victory at Abram, but they trailed early in the game and then needed extra-time to settle the issue against a useful Abram outfit.

Black Bull slammed AFC Westhead 6-2 with

Danny Foster claiming a hat-trick but, sadly due to a problem with the eligibility of one of their players, they have withdrawn from the competition allowing their opponents a place in the last four.

Pemberton beat Gidlow Athletic 10-9 on penalties after the sides had fought out a goalless draw.

Atherton Royal pulled off a surprise 3-2 win over Hindley Town as Jon Green, Rick Emmison and Nigel Cooper got the goals and Kristov Michalak and Steve O’Connor replied for Town.

Shevington beat Wigan Rovers 3-1 in the Garswood Trophies Premier Division with goals from Alan Taylor, Chris Buchanan and Paul Santus, with Josh Rogerson replying.

The game between Standish St Wilf’s and Bel Air was abandoned due to a problem with a spectator and will

be the subject of a league enquiry.

Goose Green United edged out Leigh Foundry 4-3 with Callum Broad (2), Kieron Madden and Eddie Armour on the mark for the winners and Dave Aspinall, Kieran Saunders and Dave Bullough netting in reply.

Digmoor Res won 4-2 at bottom side Leigh Legion with Connor Sanderson hitting an important brace.

Ashton Villa ended the season the way they began it in David Wilson Home Division Two, going down 9-0 to Hurlston Hall whose marksmen were Rob Knowles and Dennis Lartey (a hat-trick each), Jon Edge, Steve and Martin Ormesher.

Hat-trick man Tom Jackson helped Atherton Rope and Anchor to a 4-3 win over AH Leisure with Danny Jackson getting the other, while Terry Butler (2) and Dom Roberts scoring for the losers.

Astley and Tyldesley beat Hindley Town Res 4-2 with goals from Dwayne Kinlock (2) and Craig Roberts (2), with Warren Collier and Dave Taylor scoring in reply.

There was good news on the Wigan Cup front with

two teams reaching the last four.

Pemberton beat Leigh Athletic 1-0 thanks to a bullet header from Dave Halliwell, and Newburgh Harrock United who beat Hindley Town by the same score as Mark Pye netted.

The league was also saddened to hear of the death of Colin Batt, aged 38 years and a member of Digmoor FC.

There was a beautifully observed minutes silence at Digmoor’s game with Leigh Legion at the weekend.