Cup drama as as Highfield edge thriller

Amateur football
Amateur football
Share this article

IN the South Lancs Counties Houghton Cup third round, Highfield Grange visited fellow premier side, Digmoor and won 4-3.

Rob Alcock and Martin Meehan gave Highfield a 2-0 lead but Danny Norris pulled a goal back from a corner. Joe Hull made it 3-1 but then John Stalker converted a penalty to give Digmoor hope.

However, Martin Meehan scored his second goal to put his side 4-2 up and despite Lee Thomson scoring for Digmoor, Highfield Grange hung on for victory.

AFC Leigh came from 2-0 down to beat Orwell 4-3. AFC, while Up Holland Rangers visited A Morris FC and won 4-3 thanks to Steve Ledwith, Jay Hewitt, Dan Roughley and Keiron Hayes.

Parklands ran out 4-0 winners at Leigh Madrid and Leigh Genesis were 6-1 winners at Standish Park Rangers. Hindley Green Spinners ran out 4-1 winners against Digmoor Res.

Wigan Cosmos from the Premiership just prevailed 3-1 against Division Three’s Leigh Rovers, while Division One’s, Whitley beat Premier side, Academy Sports, 4-3 after being 3-1 down at the interval.

St George of Division Three beat Premier side, Horwich St Mary’s who were the holders of the Cup, 3-1. Mike Murphy, Matt Cunliffe and Tom Rushton scored for the Saints with Bazin Keewan replying for the Saints.

In Division One, Aspull Res moved out of the relegation places after a 3-1 win against Horiwch St Mary’s Reserves. Leighton College gave the Saints a half time lead but second half goals by Tom Green, Lewis Winstanley and Carl White saw Aspull home.

Orrell Athletic were 5-1 winners against Radley with Mike Green two, Chris Duffy, Danny Fairhurst and John Clarke on target. Martin Prendergast replied for Radley.

St Cuthbert’s came from 1-0 down to beat Olympic Athletic, 4-2 and consign them to the relegation places. Dave Williams and Richie Cunningham score for Olympic but goals by Mike Walsh, Dale Hardman, Donovan and Steve Seddon gave the points to the Saints.

In Division Two St Helens Rovers played hosts to Bryn Park and came from 1-0 down to win by the odd goal in three.

Lee Furlong scored a brace for Mitch FC but it wasn’t enough as they lost 4-2 against St Cuthbert’s Res. AFC Rainford were 4-1 winners against Leigh Genesis Res.

In Division Three, Ormskirk Royals moved to within two points of the joint leaders with a 6-1 win at Standish Potters. Wargrave Rovers are on a roll of 12 undefeated games as they conquered Billinge, 6-0.

Hawkley Athletic triumphed, 4-0 against Standish Panthers with Alex Sharrock scoring a hat-trick. Lowton Latics visited Astley & Tyldesley and won 5-1 with Adam Sampson scoring a brace to help Latics. Chris Fairbrother replied for Astley & Tyldesley.

Town Green came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 against Lower Ince. Andy Whitton and Rick Sharples scored for Lower Ince with Harry Hesketh and Jim Ashton replying for Town Green Athletic.

In the Lancs Sunday Trophy, Aspull visited Blackpool side, Northern Care Colts and won 2-1.

A goal in each half by Ross Ellison and scot Admason gave Aspull a 2-0 advantage. Northern pulled a goal back on 80 minutes but Aspull hung on for victory. The quarter final takes place in the New Year.

Youth Division leaders Penlake got back to winning ways with a resounding 8-0 win at Shevington. Southport were 9-1 winners against Appley Bridge.

Highfield Grange ran out 8-1 winners against Atherleigh with Kyle McLaughlan and Lewis Jackson each helping themselves to a brace of goals.

Highfield Grange Athletic moved out of the bottom two with a 2-1 win at second place, Skelmersdale Utd.

Bickerstaffe beat Wigan Cosmos 4-3.