Hindley edge points frenzy

Amateur RL action
Amateur RL action

HINDLEY ran out 50-42 winners against Crosfields, clinching a hard-earned victory in the final 10 minutes.

The Wigan side took the lead in the second minute when an offload from Kieron Whittle found centre Danny Gaskell who went over.

Hindley should have benefitted from a break by Josh Donaghue shortly after, but his final ball went to ground.

Five minutes later, good work from Frank Phillips and Sam Prescott saw Stephen Sutcliffe go over under the sticks with the conversion putting Hindley 12-0 up.

Crosfields then hit a purple patch which saw them score four unanswered tries in a 15 minute spell to put them 24-12 up - the pick of which was a try by full back Troy Brophy.

A mistake from Crosfields deep in the Hindley half 
saw fullback Darron Picton break through two tackles to offload to centre Danny Gaskell who crossed to reduce matters.

With five minutes of the half left, a neat chip over from Sutcliffe saw Raith Stringer win the foot race to hack on, gather and score.

On the stroke of the half a penalty goal from Jack Reid stretched the Crosfields advantage to six points.

The visitors started the second half like a house on fire with Nathan Hamilton crossing in the corner.

A minute later Crosfields stretched their lead when Reid found a gap in the Hindley defence to scamper over, also converting his own try with a good kick.

In the 49th minute, on the back of two penalties, Sutcliffe broke the visitors line to send Chris Scarborough over in style.

Minutes later Hindley had crossed again when Sutcliffe crashed over.

On the hour mark Hindley crossed to take the lead in superb style, when Gaskell cut inside his marker to feed Whittle.

Hindley should have stretched their advantage after a Frank Phillips offload was carried on by Scarborough who found Picton metres from the line, but he dropped ball costing them. However, minutes later after good work from Donaghue and Scarborough, Gaskell outpaced the visitors defence to score out wide to complete his hat-trick.

The visitors hit back from the kick off after a Hindley mistake which saw winger Hamilton stretch over in the corner and the conversion reduced the deficit to two points once more.

Crosfields then coughed up possession in the Hindley half, and some good work from Sutcliffe saw Gaskell grab his fourth try of the game to seal victory.

With the equivalent of a full team sidelined, St Patrick’s mounted a decent effort against Leigh Miners Rangers before losing 24-14.

They made enough ground to achieve a winning margin but lacked imagination at times and faded towards the end.

After a succession of penalties put the home side under pressure, Miners were first off the mark when stand-off Jimmy Muir sliced through for a sixth-minute touchdown.

Jonny Brown responded for St Pat’s five minutes later after receiving a pass from Brad Smith.

They laid siege to the Miners’ line for the next 10 minutes but had nothing to show for it.

However, they were eventually rewarded in the 28th minute when Brad Smith dummied through.

Miners recovered the lead practically on half time when more penalties put St Pat’s under pressure and Jonny Youds shot over from acting half back.

He also converted from the touchline to make it 10-12 at the break. The lead changed again when Joe Higham scored.

Only three minutes later Youds responded with a dummy which took him through a large gap in the home defence for a try which he also converted.

It was injury time before Miners set the seal on their victory whenYouds crossed.

Ince Rose Bridge won their Division One clash with Dewsbury Celtic 20-12.