Honours even for Highfield

Action from Highfield v Liverpool
Action from Highfield v Liverpool
Share this article

HIGHFIELD opened their league campaign with a home game against Liverpool.

Asked to bat first, Highfield openers Mike Farrell and James Taylor started very brightly, Taylor looking in particularly good form.

But when Taylor (26) was unluckily run out at the non strikers end, followed the very next ball by skipper Farrell (15), Highfield were reduced to 43 for 2.

Matters became worse when debutante Jy Mirza was caught and bowled for just a single.

But Michael Gaskell and Simon Mollitt steadied the ship, taking the score to 71 before Mollitt was adjudged lbw for 14.

Gaskell found another partner in Chris Liptrot (15) and again the score built steadily to 115 before Gaskell was dismissed for 38.

When Liptrot joined him in the pavilion just five runs later, Highfield were six wickets down and in some trouble but Rob Halliwell (36) and young Jim Ashton (21) added 60 runs, batting through to a tea time declaration of 182 off 60 overs.

Chris Liptrot and Sam Rotherham tore into the Liverpool batsmen but had absolutely no luck as a procession of playing and misses brought no wickets.

The breakthrough came when Jy Mirza claimed two quick wickets and Liverpool were 47 for 2, but Uhgradar and Mcarty navigated the visitors to safer waters adding 60 for the third wicket.

Rotherham returned to claim a couple of wickets and there was a wicket for James Taylor but the draw was always the more likely result and so it proved as Liverpool closed on 134 for 7 from 40 overs.

Highfield second team lost at Orrell, mustering just 81 in response to the home sides 179, Andrew Hewitt and Ryan Hargreaves both claiming 3 wickets for Highfield.

And the third team opened their league campaign with a defeat in what was an exciting home game against Rainford.

In the Southport and District competition, Hindley St Peter’s 1st XI took an early lead in the Southport League after they overcame a low total to record a 31-run win over Haydock.

Opener Paul Delargy made 27 for HSP but the rest of the top order struggled to get going, and some unlucky dismissals kept them from building a platform for the innings.

HSP stumbled to 86-8 at the halfway stage before skipper Ian Chesworth came to the crease and added some much needed late order runs.

He made 23 with three sixes as he and Paul Mather added a crucial partnership of 22 for the last wicket. Chesworth was last man out as HSP were dismissed within 30 overs for just 112.

Despite not having many runs on the board, with their strong bowling resources HSP were still in with a good chance of turning the game around.

Paul Mather opened with three maidens and picked up an early wicket before Haydock began to fight back.

The visitors’ resurgence was stemmed when Ian Chesworth came into the attack and struck in four out of his first five overs, Mather also chipping in as Haydock went from 35-2 to 50-8.

The Haydock tail added 29 for the eighth wicket but Mather returned to pick up the last two wickets and secure the victory for HSP as Haydock were bowled out for 81. Mather finished with 6-28 from 18 overs, while Chesworth took 4-13 from eight.

Over at Earlestown the second XI batted first and posted a total of 145 all out, thanks largely to Muhammed Bilal, who made a fine 87 in his first HSP appearance.

With some clean hitting and quick running Bilal was the mainstay of the HSP innings, supported by Joe Sayer (18) in a stand of 49 for the fourth wicket.

HSP came within two wickets of victory before time ran out, Earlestown eventually batting 50 overs and finishing on 95-8.

The third XI lost to Prescot and Odyssey.