Jones fires home the winner for Fallows Way

Amateur football
Amateur football

Fallows Way defeated Clay Brow 1-0 to move into second spot in South Lancs Counties Division Two.

They are behind leaders St Cuthbert’s with games in hand as the race for top spot intensifies.

In a terrific encounter, with both sides playing excellent football, the game was won in the 10th minute with a brilliant solo goal by Charlie Jones.

He beat three men with a mazy run and unleashed a lethal shot which found the corner from 20 yards.

While Fallows way bossed the game in the first half, the second belonged to Clay Brow with plenty of their chances coming up short.

Real Haydock moved into fifth place after coming from behind to win 3-2 at Leigh Genesis Res.

Leigh led 1-0 at the interval but second half goals by Neil Ody with two and Chris 
Bennett gave Haydock a 3-1 lead.

Leigh Genesis pulled a goal back but couldn’t force an equaliser.

Leigh Rovers are in fourth spot after a 3-1 win against third bottom Mitch FC.

In Division Three, fourth-placed Martland Mill were held to a 2-2 draw by mid-table Town Green Athletic.

Second bottom Lower Ince and Leigh Gemini, who are just ahead of them in the table, drew 2-2.

Leigh Madrid were too strong for bottom club Atherleigh Athletic and won 5-0.

AFC Rainford moved to the top of Division One when they beat Standish Park Rangers 3-0.

Third bottom Orrell Athletic held third placed Parklands to a 1-1 draw.

Chequer Lane and Hindley Green Spinners, two clubs level in mid-table, couldn’t be separated and drew 2-2.

Garswood United won for the second week running, this time by 2-0 against Aspull Reserves.

In the Wigan Amateur League, Atherton Rope and Anchor, who are on an improvement curve, met Pemberton Res at Douglas Street in David Wilson Homes Division Two and after a classic encounter it was all level.

It was a game of two halves as Rope set off in excellent shape and when David Jackson was brought down in the sixth minute his brother Danny despatched the resultant spot kick.

The home side could have had more goals but Tom Jackson and Aaron Ballard fired wide.

At the other end Danny Kay should have equalised but he too shot wide.

The second half saw Pemberton take command and with Lee Ashcroft grafting in midfield they looked a different 
side. Rope had to hang on relying on keeper Austin Smith to make some god saves. But on 70 minutes a clearance went straight to Alex Mafi who lashed the ball home from 30 yards out.

Both sides looked for what proved to be the elusive winner with a draw a fair result.

Hindley Town Res and Punchbowl drew 5-5 in a blinder at Kildare Street.

Mark Glover with two, Warren Collier, Sam Birch and Mark Chadwick scored for Town while Mark Ashton with two, Jon Woods, Dean Heaton and Lee Helme replied.

Ale House Leisure are now third after a narrow 3-2 win at Black Bull as Dom Roberts, Adam Thomason and Jay O’Brien all found the Bull net with Nathan Smith netting twice for the losers.

The rejuvenated Leigh Legion held Hurlston Hall to a 1-1 draw as Sean Rowley’s goal was cancelled out by Rob Knowles.

The Laithwaite Shield quarter-finals saw Bickerstaffe Res edge out holders Winstanley Warriors 1-0 thanks to a goal from Ant Halligan.

Rainford North End slammed Astley and Tyldesley 5-1 with a hat trick from Paul Sweeney and two from Iain Wareing with Rob Forsythe getting a consolation for the visitors. Standish St Wilf’s beat Ormskirk West End 4-3 on penalties after a 1-1 draw as Martin Ratcliffe and Eddie Carney scored in normal time.

Bel Air get a walk over following the resignation of Leigh Phoenix.