Local football round-up

Action from a recent Lancashire Cup game - Highfield v Euxton
Action from a recent Lancashire Cup game - Highfield v Euxton
Share this article


WIGAN Robin Park crashed out of the NWCFL Challenge Cup 2-1 to Winsford United following a hotly-disputed extra-time penalty.

The Robins took the game to their top flight visitors from the off, but Winsford took the lead when the ball fell kindly for Bailey to finish past Jay Foulds in Wigan’s goal.

Moments later Mark Westworth had a glorious chance to equalise for the Robins but he planted his header wide.

This was the last meaningful action for Westworth as he was forced to retire from the match with a nasty ankle injury.

However, the disruption didn’t seem to affect Wigan as they continued to attack with Ben Kay, Dean Callaway and Shaun Judge all going close.

The second period started slowly for Park and Foulds had to be at his best to keep out a Matty Ward thunderbolt early in the half.

It took 83 minutes for Wigan to equalise when an Adam Howard cross was only cleared as far as Phil Howard, and he blasted the ball into the back of the net from 25 yards.

With the scores level at full-time there only looked one winner as the Robins piled forward.

However, they were unable to break the deadlock as the teams turned around even.

In the first minute of the second half Robins had a large claim for a penalty when a Winsford defender appeared to handle in the area.

The referee waved away the Wigan complaints and almost immediately Ward went down under a challenge from debutant Luke Faulkener, leading the official to point to the spot for a penalty to the visitors.

Ward dusted himself down to beat Foulds to make it 2-1.

Despite the Robins throwing everybody forward the score remained the same and the game ended amidst angry scenes. After the game manager John Neafcy said: “I’m proud of the lads and thought we were the better team and I’m bitterly disappointed to go out of the cup at this stage.

“I felt we didn’t get the decisions all day, but leaving that aside we had enough chances to win it. We proved we can compete against the top sides from the division above and we’ll take that into our next fixtures.”

Tonight [Tues] the Robins are away at AFC Darwen (ko 7.45pm) before returning to the Arena next Saturday (November 5) for the local derby against Atherton Collieries.

ASHTON Athletic progessed in the League Challenge Cup as they secured a tremendous 3-2 win at Colne.

On target were Danny White, Jake Patton and Chris Blundell.

ASHTON Town slid to a 2-1 Cup defeat as they hosted Runcorn Linnets.

James Rushton-Woods bagged Town’s consolation goal.

Wigan Amateur League

INCE Central Reserves met promotion-chasing Lowton Rams in Autus Web Design Division Three, and the visitors snatched victory 3-0.

Ant Aspinall, Dale Wood [og] and sub Dan Knowles registered the goals.

Leaders AH Leisure edged out Billinge Community by the odd goal in thre with Paul Gaskell and Terry Butler on target. Andy Brady netted for the home side.

Foundry Reserves are on their heels after beating Ashton Villa 3-2, while Cart and Horses struggled to beat bottom side Sporting Leigh, finally winning 2-1.

Black Bull chalked up another win as they saw off Winstanley Warriors 3-1 with that ace scorer Martin Foster claiming all three. Adam Power replied.

Atherton George drew 1-1 with Wigan Celtic as Craig Piggott’s goal was cancelled out by Craig Hodgson.

Garswood Trophies Premier Division leaders Winstanley St Aidan’s had a great day as they beat AFC Scholes 4-0 with Andy Hodgkiss (2), Ross Boland and Martin Thomas netting.

They also found out that nearest rivals Leigh Rangers crashed 2-0 at Gidlow Athletic whose marksmen were Anthony Joynt and Ian Thompson.

Digmoor came from behind to share the spoils 2-2 with Pemberton, while Ince Central won 1-0 at Standish St Wilf’s with their hero Ian Gaskell providing a great finish.

Newburgh Harrock United defeated bottom team Shevington 3-1 thanks to efforts from Ben Proud, John Standley and Adam Murray.

Ince FC Are starting to climb the table after a hard-earned 2-1 victory over Downall Green United – Chris Demings got both their goals.

Bickerstaffe gained a much-needed victory as they edged out Hindley Town 4-3. In a thriller Martin Halligan got two, Martin Forshaw and Adam Shaw the others, while Craig Naylor, John Hurst and Dave Hodgson replied.

In Division One Foundry ran riot at Atherton Town, winning in a canter 9-0 as Lee Fiendley (4), Dave Bullough (3) and Marc Mather (2) on target.

Ormskirk recorded their first league win of a difficult season as they beat Goose Green United 4-2 with Kevin McGlinchey regaining his touch with a hat-trick and Richard Smith getting the other. Dave Mellor and Barry McHugh scored for the losers.

Farnworth Town, who are in the title race, retained their position with a 4-1 home win over St Jude’s, while AFC Tyldesley pulled off a 2-1 win over Wigan Rovers.

Winstanley Reserves cannot find any consistency and crashed 3-2 at home to Standish St Wilf’s Reserves.

Atherton Royal kept up their challenge with a 6-3 win at Shevington Reserves as Karl Barrington and Chris Radcliffe got two apiece and Mike Birchall and John Green added the others. Danny Lowton (2) and Andy Mah scored for the home side.

Division Two action saw Leigh Legion gain a narrow 1-0 win at Springfield, and Bickerstaffe Reserves did the same at Leigh Rangers Reserves as they grabbed a solitary goal victory.


IN a terrific game Bryn Park just edged out Olympic Athletic 4-3 in their Division Two encounter, with Ross Atherton hitting a late winner for Park.

Carl Davies put Bryn Park ahead, only for Dave Williams to equalise for Olympic. Stu Cunliffe hit the first of his two goals to restore Bryn Park’s slender advantage. In the second half Richie Cunningham hit a brace to give Olympic the lead for the first time. However, Stu Cunliffe hit his second goal on 85 minutes to equalise with Atherton then hitting the dramatic winner.

Bird I’th Albion moved into second spot after beating leaders St Cuthbert’s 2-1. Joe Alexander put the Bird ahead, but the Saints equalised when Anthony Bird stroke home a penalty. Ant Dunleavy hit a late winner.

Parklands triumphed 3-1 against Goose Green. Mike Hooless put Parklands ahead then Ben Croston equalised. After the break, Curtis Whalley and Adam Riley gave Parklands the victory.

Up Holland hosted Horwich St Mary’s Reserves and won 3-1 with Matt Gaskell (2) and Adam Niklas on target.

Bryn Hall had a narrow 3-2 win against AFC Wigan Reserves. A tremendous 35-yard free-kick by Mike Rasburn gave Bryn Hall all three points.

FC Wigan United and Digmoor shared the points in a 1-1 draw.

North Star moved joint top of the Premier Division with Highfield Grange after coming from behind to beat AFC Wigan 6-1.

An early goal form Carl Murphy for AFC Wigan only spurred on North Star and Sam Denton in particular. He hit four goals with Liam Atherton an own goal also on target as North Star ran riot in the second half.

Jamie Benson hit a brace as Dynamo Globe won 2-1 at Horwich St Mary’s. Reece Hopkins pulled a goal back for the Saints.

AFC Leigh Centurions and Wigan Cosmos fought out a 1-1 draw. Kyle Giles put the Centurions ahead at the interval, with Matty Fishwick equalising in the second period.

In the fourth round of the Lancs Sunday Trophy, Highfield Grange beat Preston side BAC Continental 2-0. A goal in each half by Martin Meehan did the trick and when attempting to scored his hat-trick goal, he had a penalty saved. They have a home draw in the fifth round against holders Pulton on November 20.

Aspull JFC against Littleborough was postponed and the match is re-scheduled for this coming Sunday.

Golborne Parkside also moved into the fifth round after beating AFC Wilo 3-2. Matty Hughes hit a brace with Jason Ridyard striking the winning goal for Golborne Parkside in the 85th minute.

Division One leaders Halsall cruised to a 6-0 win against Ashton Villa. Dave Mawdesley (2), Alex Grysdale, Lawrence Ventre, Scot Wissett and Matt Ashcroft were the marksmen.

Orrell Otters are hot on their heels after a 3-1 win at local rivals Orrell Sorrento.

Mike Price struck a brilliant hat-trick for the Otters.