Mirza stars with the bat as Highfield secure a fine victory

Highfield Cricket - Jy Mirza batting
Highfield Cricket - Jy Mirza batting
Share this article

HIGHFIELD hosted Wavertree in the second round of league matches and secured a comprehensive victory with Jy Mirza starring with the bat and Chris Liptrot with the ball.

The visitors won the toss and invited Mike Farrell’s side to bat. It looked to be a good decision when both openers were back in the pavilion with just 13 on the board.

But Mike Gaskell and Mirza repaired the early damage adding 50 before Gaskell was dismissed for 37.

Simon Mollitt offered further support to the patient Mirza with a fine 28 but his wicket heralded a mini collapse with five wickets lost for just 18 runs as the home side wobbled on 160 for eight.

But Mirza and Sam Rotherham added a further 60, Mirza securing his 100 and then going on to score 125 in just his second innings for his new club, well supported by Rotherham (15), as Highfield posted 223.

Wavertree lost a very early wicket to make their challenge more difficult but did add 28 for the second wicket.

But Liptrot (7 for 10 off 11 overs) and young Aqib Nawaz (3 for 16) tore into the middle and lower order dismissing the visitors for just 42. Highfield claimed a maximum 25 points.

Highfield seconds travelled to Wavertree and came away with a draw in an exciting finish with the home side needing six to win off the last ball and Highfield needing just the last wicket to claim the victory.

Highfield thirds claimed the spoils against Orrell on the Sunday, dismissing them for just 42, Martyn Jenks claimed four wickets, with a couple each for skipper Dave Lavin, Ashton and Wallace.

Highfield made light work of the total, smashing their way to victory in just seven overs.

Highfield juniors had a successful week with all teams winning, the under 9s beat Orrell, the under 11s and under 13s beat Haydock and the under 15s beating Wigan.

HINDLEY ST PETER’S first XI maintained their 100 per cent start to the season with a four-wicket victory at home to Tarleton.

The visitors won the toss and opted to bat first. The top order gave them a sound platform and Tarleton had reached 80-2 in the 34th over when Andrew Tickle joined Muhammad Bilal in the attack.

Tickle made the breakthrough and then he and Bilal ran through the rest of the Tarleton order as the visitors collapsed to 119 all out. Bilal finished with 4-21 from 11 overs and Tickle 4-26 from eight.

Sajid Munshi and Paul Delargy got HSP off to a good start with 37 for the first wicket before Munshi was first to go. Delargy went on to make 31 before he was trapped LBW with the score on 50-2.

Phil Moorfield took over and went on to be top scorer with 34, adding 39 for the fourth wicket with Steve Hampson .

The scores were level when Hampson was sixth out, and two balls later HSP secured the victory with 11 overs left.

The second XI batted first against Churchtown after winning the toss.

Brad Coventry and Behzad Malik got HSP into a decent position at 38-1, but three wickets then went down on the same score to put HSP into some trouble. Malik was batting well and playing an uncharacteristically composed innings as he and Paul Snape began the recovery.

They added 23 for the fifth wicket, and then Malik and skipper Mark Hardman boosted the total further with 33 for the seventh.

With the score now approaching something respectable, Malik and Abu Shakhede added a cameo of a partnership with 37 for the ninth wicket, Malik passing his half century before being last out for 56 as HSP finished on 158 all out in the 42nd over.

HSP kept the runs down in the early part of the home side’s reply, but some lacklustre fielding and missed catching chances meant that the penetration wasn’t there.

A stand of 81 between Carl Jackson and Steve Williams put Churchtown in control before Graham Hart broke through by bowling Jackson for 35.

Williams had reached 49 with some hard hitting before Matthew Hardman was given the ball and in his first over forced Williams to glove a catch through to the keeper.

Despite Abu Shakhede returning for a second spell and taking two wickets in an over, the match was taken away from them again as Churchtown’s Michael Watson smashed 37 not out.

NORLEY HALL hosted Widnes Moorfield in the first round of the Sandhurst Shield and finally won a match after three consecutive league losses.

Norley Hall batted first and totalled 222-7 from their allotted 45 overs with Craig Hatch top scoring with 65 not-out including three sixes and five fours.

Aaron Sibblies scored 38 with five fours and two sixes.

In reply, Moorfield were all out for 95.

In the league, the first XI visited Westleigh and went down for the third week running, this time by eight wickets.

Westleigh won the toss and put Norley Hall in to bat.

Despite losing early wickets which reduced Norley Hall to 66-5, they went on to total 189-9 in their allotted 50 overs.

In reply, Westleigh reached 190-2 in 33 overs through Nick Sykes, not-out, 56, Tony Kay, 49 and K Buxton, 46 not-out. Next Saturday the firsts visit Hesketh Bank.

GOOSE GREEN entertained West Leigh in a top of the table clash on won by 23 runs in a close match.

On the first dry Saturday of the season, Green won the toss and had no hesitation in batting on a dry hard track.

The runs came thick and fast as openers T Bennett and Andy Bispham put on 33 in the first five overs. Green’s openers put on a 100 run partnership for the first wicket A Bispham the first to go Caught for a respectable 30.

T Bennett carried on to his 100 and when the declaration came, Green 200-3 declared after just 45 overs by Greens captain D Johnson.

This gave West Leigh 45 overs to get the total of 201 but they fell short by 23 runs with 6 overs of the day still to bowl.

West Leigh finishing on 173 and Green now go Top of Division Two.

Green 20 points West Leigh six points.