Needham double helps Wigan Cosmos reach to the stars

Amateur football
Amateur football

WIGAN Cosmos ran out 2-0 winners against Horwich St Mary’s with Chris Needham scoring in each half.

The Wigan side did enough to stay on top in the South Lancs Counties match, with Cosmos keeper Simon Aspinall keeping his side in front by saving three one on ones.

Leaders Highfield Grange were held to a 1-1 draw by Leigh Genesis.

A stunning shot from 20-yards by Joe Hull gave Highfield Grange an interval lead.

In the second period a brilliant diving header by Wilson Santa Rosa on the hour mark gave Leigh a share of the points.

Aspull were too strong for bottom-placed Golborne Parkside and won 9-1, while Digmoor visited neighbours Tanner FC and won 2-1.

Adam Morris moved to joint top of Division One with AFC Rainford when they beat Horwich St Mary’s Reserves 8-0. Bottom club Olympic Athletic visited Chequer Lane and won 2-1, while Hindley Green Spinners were 3-0 winners against Aspull Reserves, with all three 
goals coming in the second half.

Garswood United’s winning run stretched to three matches after a 4-3 win at third placed Parklands and Orrell Athletic claimed a rare win after beating AFC Leigh 3-2.

Division Two leaders St Cuthbert’s were beaten 2-1 by third-placed Clay Brow and second-placed Fallows Way enjoyed a massive 19-1 win against Leigh Genesis Reserves.

Standish United and St Helens Rovers shared six goals in a thrilling contest.

Hawkley Athletic moved out of the relegation places thanks to a 2-1 win against bottom club Orwell while Highfield Grange Youth visited Real Haydock and claimed the points with a 5-3 win.

Division Three leaders St Jude’s visited bottom club Lower Ince and comfortably preserved their status at the top by claiming a 5-1 win.

In the Wigan Amateur League Standish St Wilf’s beat bottom side Ince Central in the Garswood Trophies Premier Division with Joe Winstanley bagging a brace.

Standish’s Reserve team lost 3-0 at Boars Head in McHale Baker Wills & Trusts Division One. AH Leisure crashed 4-1 at home to Hurlston Hall in David Wilson Homes Division Two.

Astley and Tyldesley entertained Leigh Legion in the Sam Davenport Cup and took the spoils 2-1.

The home side struck early on when the ball wasn’t properly cleared by the Rangers defence and Chris Hart smashed the ball home from 30 yards.

At the other end Ryan Cuff was in the midst of things but couldn’t find the target. Both sides had chances but with the wind spoiling things there were no further goals in the half.

The second half was pretty even but on the hour Mike Barnes raced through and calmly put the ball in the net from 15 yards to make it 2-0. Substitute Dan Massey then hit the post as the home side seemed in control. Rangers had other ideas though and Cull fired home an unstoppable shot on 80 minutes to set up a grandstand finish but the home side held out to move into the next round.

Pemberton Reserves beat bottom side Ashton Villa 1-0 while Punchbowl slammed Hindley Town Res 4-1 with goals from Lee Hatton, Dean Heaton, Matt Hopkins and Jonny Woods with veteran Mark Glover replying for the visitors. Mitch scraped through against Whelley with a 1-0 win.

The Keith and Margaret Whitehead Cup saw Bel Air beat Shevington 4-0 as Scot Peach with two, Mike Case and Stu Johnson all netted.

Newburgh Harrock United saw off Pemberton 3-1 with Dave Barton, Gary Doyle and Jamie Ward all scoring and Mike Price replying. St Jude’s edged out neighbours Winstanley St Aidan’s 2-1 as Lee Harman and Scot Unsworth scored while Paul Gibson netted for the Saints.

Wigan Rovers reached Round Two after a 2-0 win over Gidlow Athletic, the scorers were Dean Berry and Graham Croft.